95 F150 Turbo 300

Installed my 82lb injectors today, one of which was stuck open. Found that out after it hydrolocked about 5 seconds into cranking it. Luckily I bought injectors for a mustang so I got 8. Pulled spark plugs and spun it over to clear it out, friggin gushed out fuel. Put another injector in, adjusted the injector size in megasquirt and it fired up. Did all this before installing the turbo to make sure the truck would run on that big of an injector, so open header :LOL:

Making my oil feed and drain tomorrow but will likely have to order an orifice to limit the oil flow. I'm using 3/16" brake line for the feed, 1/2" rubber oil line for the drain. Need to install the fuel and oil pressure gauges, cut a few charge pipes and will be inching very close to done. I'll be sure to upload plenty of videos and pics.

I felt good to hear it fire up but also furthered my trust and love for megasquirt. Changed one number in the tune and it fires right up...thats so awesome to me.

Nothing yet really, been busy with the holidays. The remaining to do list is:
Turbo Oil Feed/Drain - Including welding in a drain bung into the oil pan
Charge Pipes
Finish securing the intercooler mounts
Weld in O2 bung and install sensor
Install Oil pressure, Fuel Pressure, and Boost Gauges
Install Walbro fuel pump
Get a smaller Serpentine Belt since I removed the smog pump

So not too long of a list but each thing will take a fair amount of time. Not really busting ass on it, just kinda picking at it here and there.

My walbro isnt a in tank, so I'll install it inline.

Did a little work on it today. Started to figure out my oil feed, got most of my fittings installed, just gotta form my brake line. Then jb weld the oil drain into the oil pan.

I'll post up some pics once I've got the whole setup installed.

Pretty Big Update

Everything thing is installed except for the walbro at this point. I’ve had quite the fight with these injectors, 2 out of the 6 are open at resting state. Luckily I bought them for a v8 so I had 2 extra, fingers crossed they continue to work properly. The engine is still not seeing boost as I have to make a plate to block off the IAC port, however that should be the last issue before I can start tuning for boost.

Here’s some picks before I clamped everything down.
c561b3d8-8e74-43f5-b834-4fb6cabf77ef_zpsml2tjhm5.jpg

2015-04-112018.22.52_zpsl4mjhnrn.jpg

2015-04-122017.05.23_zpsi63c382t.jpg

And heres a quick video of it running, try and ignore the power steering whine. Audio sucks anyway.
http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/shibie14/media/video-2015-04-12-18-30-31_zpsqufssgeb.mp4.html

Pretty sure I burned up my starter. I was testing a MS3 board I built for a friend so I was cranking a lot. I left the battery charging all night and it still does nothing when I try to start it so that'll have to be replaced.

It shouldnt take me more than a week to have it on the road. Already made a block off plate for the IAC. Replace starter, and start tuning for boost.

Replaced the starter today and drove it around on boost. It started pinging at part throttle and realized the gas in it is nearly a year old. Will try and pump the gas out and fill it up with a fresh e85 tank full. However, when boost hit, it felt awesome!!!!!!!!!. I will fix the gas and get it reliable, then post a video...the bov is ridiculously loud haha

Glad to hear its running! How's that hx35 spool? How much boost are you pushing? How's the difference in power? Thumbs up very nice install, getting me anxious to get my megasquirt

Still very much sorting out the tune but heres how its running so far. It starts to spool around 2500 and hits hard at 3000 rpm at around 6-8 lbs. I'm running a tank of mostly e85, maybe 2-3 gallons of regular 87 octane was left in the tank so we'll call it e60. Timing is locked at 15 degrees, will get megasquirt to control timing in the future but just trying to get the fuel right for now. It dives deep into 10-9 AFR under boost which is good for now just to make sure I'm safe but I'll be leaning that out more and more. Goal is to have 15 AFR cruise, 13 AFR without boost, and 11-12 AFR under boost....unless someone with e85 experience chimes in.

Granted the tune is far far far far farrrrr from ideal, it still pulls quite hard. I haven't hit the highway with it yet, just a bunch of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls around town. 2nd gear feels like the truck is about to pull a wheelie when boost hits, 3rd still feels strong but you start to realize its not that fast. After I get the tune right, and can start controlling timing, I'm confident 8 lbs will throw you back into the seat just fine. I'm not even gonna try and estimate hp yet, a dyno will be in the future once things are how I want them (you know, like 3 years from now haha).

That's sweet. Very anxious to get some side stuff done and work on my truck. Maybe post a video when you get the chance? Your still on the stock head, gasket, and bolts right?

Are you monitoring EGT?

I was just helping a coworker diagnose an issue with his EFI yesterday, ended up figuring out the problem was his map was commanding too lean at cruise and his O2 sensor was fighting the map. You might end up in the same situation if you program your map too lean.

I don't know E85 on FI but i built a motorcycle to run it with a carb and the jet size was double (numerically... obviously not a scalar number) Pure alky is something like 9:1, i'm guessing you'll see your EG temp peak out around 12:1 and drop off fast after that/ misfire.

The solution I suggested to my coworker (he's going to try tonight) is to make the map very conservative (13.6), but give the O2 sensor more authority, then set it to command stoichiometric ratio, so it will be wanting to pull lean but only under ideal conditions, that way you're safe everywhere else, and if you notice hesitation or bucking when the O2 is puling it lean, you know to fatten up the O2 command AFR.

yeah, you'll probably have to do some E85 specific research, but i'm guessing 8-12:1 is going to be the sweet spot. You'll find that economy doesn't improve with going too lean on the AFR because you're engine is not making as much power and you end up with more load and more throttle angle.

Im not monitoring EGT's at all. Not sure what setup your talking about where the O2 and MAP were fighting each other, that on megasquirt?

Just an aside on AFR's, when I say I want to run a 13 AFR, I mean thats what my O2 is reading. Technically, E85 runs stoich at 9.8 AFR but I haven't reprogrammed my wideband to readout for e85. Not that it matters though, since a wideband reads lamba, when it says 14.7 AFR, its the same as stoich no matter what fuel. Even still, I'm running on the rich side at all times currently. Got it at around 13-14 everywhere except boost. When boost hits I drop into 12-11 AFR.

Here is a quick video of a couple of pulls. Its a open exhaust so that dominates the sound but you can still here the turbo spool a little. Again, I'm running locked timing at around 15 degrees so thats why I don't rev it past 4K, it just doesnt make good power without timing advance up that high.

https://youtu.be/lerpTLn09fs

MECH_E":2kdc52p1 said:
I haven't reprogrammed my wideband to readout for e85.

That makes a lot more sense... i'd think you could barely run at 14.7 actual AFR on e85.

What i'm talking about with the too-lean map issue, probably isn't a concern. I was saying if you set your map lean and your o2 sensor is constantly trying to correct you back rich, you can get weird stumbling/bucking when the code switches on-and-off closed loop. For some reason on my coworkers car, even though the o2 was trying to correct to '14.7' and the map was set at '14.7' the sensor wanted to be constantly pulling it richer, making the map richer than the AFR that the sensor is trying to hit, fixed the issue.

I thought you were trying to run an actual afr of 14.7. I don't know anything about using O2 sensors with E85 or alky how that reads different.

Either way, sounds awesome and sounds like you've almost got it dialed in. I would seriously consider monitoring EGT since it lets you determine how efficiently your spark is burning the fuel/air, I've found it super helpful for dialing in carbureted setups. Also a nice safety measure if you do push that turbine harder.

I've got a substantial leak at the turbo flange that I've got to fix, its throwing my O2 readings off. Will update when thats sealed up

well actually in the video it wasnt leaking...its just that 2nd gear pulls so fast that the rpms have hit 3K before boost hits. In 3rd gear boost hits at 2500 rpm as expected. Even with the leak it still builds boost quite well, it just doesnt run worth a crap until then.

I was pretty conservative in that video (scared something was gonna break). After getting used to it I've revved past 4K and it still makes power out there, even with locked timing. I'll be sealing up the exhaust leak and fixing my megasquirt to control timing over the next week or two. That should put her right where I want it.

Back