All Small Six ACP 3 row radiator fan spacer question.

This relates to all small sixes

Protonic65

Supporter 2021
Hello inline crew! I just got a new ACP 3 row radiator to replace my stock on for my 65 200 inline Mustang. The engine fan and spacer appear to be stock. I'm looking to replace the fan with a 6 blade, might as well. Now have any of you done something similar and had to swap out the spacer for a smaller one so the new radiator will clear the fan? I see there is a 1/2 space at the local auto shop, would that work? Also, what if I ditched the space altogether and just bolted the fan to the pulley, think that's way to much space between the fan and radiator. There is no AC in the car, picture attached shows current fan and space with tape measure for ref. Thanks in advance for any help and info!0C454AB1-B162-409A-8009-4852112310D3.jpeg

Short answ:
Do U havea shroud? It does 3/4 of the wrk, & speaking of 3/4...if using the oem or 6 blade it is suggested U have 3/4 of the blade inside the flange for best cooling. Many think of mechanics as neanderthal, knuckle draggin 'stuff'. It is a precise and scientific endeavor. Seek out all the best you can (obtain/do). B proud of the mo`chine U maintain urself !
Choose accordingly (all others being equal)~
Have fun, B safe AND productive !

Short answ:
Do U havea shroud? It does 3/4 of the wrk, & speaking of 3/4...if using the oem or 6 blade it is suggested U have 3/4 of the blade inside the flange for best cooling. Many think of mechanics as neanderthal, knuckle draggin 'stuff'. It is a precise and scientific endeavor. Seek out all the best you can (obtain/do). B proud of the mo`chine U maintain urself !
Choose accordingly (all others being equal)~
Have fun, B safe AND productive !
Hey Chad, no fan shroud here, although it looks like a 1/2 space might do the trick? Mechanic work is all about precision! I'm finally get her out of deep sleep from many years. Thanks for the info!

No problem on the spacer. There are many sizes: https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessories/belt-driven-fan-spacers.html

You want at least 1" from the fan to radiator. Too much and you will not cool properly.

A 6 blade fan will fit depending on the fin size. But, you can try and use a V8 shroud. It will fit fine. But you will want the fan 1/2 way into the shroud for it to be effective.

So first install the radiator. Mock up the fan and measure so you know what size spacer you need.

"It is a precise and scientific endeavor. Seek out all the best you can (obtain/do)."
found right here @ ford6: "1/2" (3/4?) and "1".
8^ )

Last edited:
Back