Adding to the Aluminum Excitement...

Did these heads ever get built????

I got all excited until I saw the date on the posts! :(

falcon62travis":wst8oaqa said:
Did these heads ever get built????

I got all excited until I saw the date on the posts! :(

Southern Cross Racer noted on April 13, 2005, that the head was on its way. Whatever that means.
Joe

The aluminium comes from melted down "Quilmes Cerveza" cans. Martín's got two more sixpacks to finish before they have enough to cast the next head.

Just stirring you, MA. ;)

Good one, Adam!

I don't drink, so any help will be welcome :)
Seriously, like Inliner said before, these heads are already being built and raced. What I meant is that the first head is in USA now, getting ready to rock. I hope we can bring you some dyno numbers as soon as possible.
About the aluminum, I don't have the specs with me, but it's an special alloy (notice the colour on the non-machined parts), stronger than most alloys used for cylinder heads, structural (and, above all) thermally wise. For example, something that really impressed me, was that they can be used with steel shim headgaskets. If you want to use a composite one, the Felpro unit it's perfect. The deck thickness is huge, and special care has been taking on critical areas (like at the rocker arm posts mounts) to assure not only valvetrain stability, but also long lasting performance. The particular model being built for SCP has some differences with the race model, since we are not limited by class rules.
For the casting process, the designer uses more than twice the amount of aluminum needed, to avoid porosity issues. This aluminum alloy it's not easy to work with manufacturing process wise, but it helps the head survive under the stress of racing. And of course, it's heat treated.
Furthermore, the test is going to be performed with an off-the-shelf US cam, althought we are working on custom made grinds that will extract every single bit of power these heads can deliver.

Ahh I got confused. I was looking at Southern Cross Racer's join date, not the date of his post.

Well I've got $800 saved up so far! If there's a list put me on it! I'm gonna have to start saving my pennies!

Travis

BTW - I spent a couple years in Argentina about 8 years ago. I've never seen so many Falcons in my life! When I came home I had to get one of my own!

DEAR JOHN

.....I FEEL LIKE A LITTLE BOY WAITING TO HERE WHAT MY DAD IS BUYING ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY.........I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER. JUST GET IT RUNNING AND TELL US HOW GOOD IT FEELS.

.....TEST IT LATER AND HELP US TO START BREATHING AGAIN....!!! :D :D :D

.....WHERE ARE YOU JOHN? :D

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

If you think that's bad, try to have a couple with you and not being able to use them. Not to mention getting horsepower numbers from previous experiences and some expert advice from the designer...
Seriously, I think the head is at the machinist, Im glad that drooling doesn't seem to corrode aluminum... :)

That would be cool! The only aluminum valve cover that I've seen for these sixes is from Clifford. And right now, the only way you can get it is black. They used to have a company that they would outsource to pollish them, but I guess finish quality went down and they stopped doing it. Last time I talked to someone at Clifford, he said that they were actively looking for a company to pollish covers for them once more.

There is a 2 piece polished aluminum valve cover available. It has no oil holes in it, since it's a race oriented piece (they use a pipe attached to the fuel pump hole for that) and it's designed to clear TC roller tip rockers.

How soon should we be expecting numbers now? how far along is mikes aluminum head?
before i pick one i'd like to compare the numbers side by side

you should probably ask Mike about that, i doubt these guys know more about Mike's stuff than he does ;)

bergerfromage":31lqtvf6 said:
How soon should we be expecting numbers now?

Nathan,

Inliner's machinist has the aluminum head, awaiting the valves and springs. The head will not be flowbenched, but the dynamometer figures should give a very good indication of the level of performance that can be gained from using it. Southern Cross Racer is packaging up several more cylinder heads, one of which I hope to use for a separate build up in the near future.

FYI, these heads will require a new exhaust header, which is provided with the head and intake, all the other valvetrain parts will be off the shelf items.

DB

any numbers yet? this is to existing and this is killing me waiting to hear so i can plan my turbo kit around it and i have my hole project on holed waiting to hear.

I can give you some numbers from the local racing crowd. With a decent carb, you can get 300 flywheel hp (net) out of an overbored and stroked 221 (therefore displacing 230 ci), under 7000 rpms, no porting whatsoever (not even a cleanup on the ports), naturally aspirated of course. The much improved exhaust and turbulence inducing ports and chambers will be perfect for a turbo application. The head doesn't actually need a lot of cam to perform, thanks to considerable redesigning of the ports, wich is good for you intended app.

Alright now....It is the middle of August.

Time to bring this thread "To The top!!"

Back