Degreeing a camshaft: discrepancy between methods

edgewood bronco

Okay. I think I'm making progress on degreeing my cam, but now have come up with two different answers depending on what method I use.
First, I have a Classic Inliness Product ID: CSC-264-HSP-10; 264/264-110* Hydraulic Cam. I've spent most of this afternoon researching this site and going back to the block to make sure I'm doing this right. I've watched various youtube videos including the one on the 200 six build.

Using the Centerline method, I get readings of 152.5 and 59.5. take an average and I'm at 106. Right where I should be, no?

Using the Duration at 0.050" method, I get readings of 4 and 145. I was really confused until I realized I really should have had a degree wheel that goes all the way to 360, so my duration is really 4 +180 +35, (right?) = 219, divide by 2 and get 109.5.

What one do I use? It's supposed to be ground straight up, so I'm inclined to go with the second one.

What about the coating on a new cam lobe? can that screw up these readings? I don't have any assembly lube on there, just a bit of oil but not sure if that might introduce error.
What about the 219 degrees of duration I'm getting? Isn't it supposed to be 214? according to here: http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetai ... 264-HSP-10
Shall I try no. 2 intake and see how that stacks up? My dial indicator is straight with the lifter, so I think I'm getting reliable measurements.

Thanks!
Andy

the duration method is the most accurate because it requires that you use a degree wheel, and get actual numbers. the coating on the cam will not change the numbers you get.

Make sure you are using positive stop on the piston to find tdc, And verify that it hasn't changed, ie wheel moved, after you get your numbers.

I've discovered what's going on I think, but am still frustrated by not fully understanding what's going on for the duration method.
How are you supposed to read the cam card? http://classicinlines.com/images/camcar ... 64-10.html
I suppose I should be calling Clay Smith Cams, but I'm sure some of you know:
Is the 'in. opens 22' when the intake valve starts to open, or is it at 0.050?
What about the duration at 0.050? I get 218 on mine, not 214. How much slop is allowable?
Thanks.
Andy

Watch it again you will see that about the 10:00 min up to 11:00 or so he talks about finding the highest lift point then resetting the dial indicator to zero then turning engine in each direction to .050 on the dial and taking your degree measurements. I think he might of used close to the same cam grind as yours too. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":1knc82a9 said:
Watch it again you will see that about the 10:00 min up to 11:00 or so it talks about finding the highest lift point then resetting the dial indicator to zero then turning engine in each direction to .050 on the dial and taking your degree measurements. I think he might of used close to the same cam as yours too. Good luck :nod:
Intake L/C is whats recommended on the timing card. Thats what I have used on Clay Smith Cams. His cams are normally right close to "0". You have to advance the camshaft to either 2 degrees or 4 degrees depending on you application.

Thanks to all. I measured it many times and got six degrees, which is what is recommended, so I'm going with it.
Oil Pan's on, progress made tonight!

Back