All Small Six DOHC 250ci

This relates to all small sixes

Cox Custom Mechanical

Supporter 2022
Hey Guys.

I started this project about 12months ago, I haven't made a lot of progress due to customer engines and other jobs, but I hope to get back to it in the next few months. It is a modified Barra head on a 250 Pre X Flow block.

The head now bolts to the block after plugging re positioning the head bolt holes, the oil and water galleries are sorted. Next step will be setting up the auxiliary shaft (former camshaft) machining a new front timing cover for a timing belt drive, followed by water pump modification in conjunction with timing belt assembly.

These photos were taken right at the beginning to see if it would even be possible, so please excuse the grubby block and head.
280296882_3240381269574628_4428613541320075769_n.jpg286249465_3258274227785332_5130968725369421258_n.jpg

Watch this space.

I'm also putting Barra heads on a Windsor but that's a story for another day.

Cheers

Andrew Cox
Cox Custom Mechanical

Barra, wouldnt that be tonnes easier? A NA barra is around $400 down here.
Absolutely aussie7mains, but the reasoning behind it is to do something different.

Some Speedway guys here have to run earlier crossflow blocks but are allowed to do any engine modifications they like so this would be perfect. The potential for the US market enabling people with pre crossflows and crossflows to maintain their current driveline and bottom end.

If all goes well version 2.0 may be able to be done in car to a stock block without the need to rebuild it at the same time.

Using my a Barra as a test mule the head will be a 250hp bolt on kit with flat top pistons, dish pistons will reduce that number if the end user decided to keep their bottom end due to a drop in compression.

Last edited:
Very good
So making a 4 mains crank fit a 7 mains 250 block?

How? blocking and grinding clearance on the redundant 250 mains

Very good
So making a 4 mains crank fit a 7 mains 250 block?

How? blocking and grinding clearance on the redundant 250 mains
Morning gb500.

Yes, block goes in the mill and is clearanced for the counterweights. The biggest challenge is the bearing size and width of the 4 main crank as only the main spacing is the same, the diameter is not.

The finer details are a secret....

Head is now bolted up, I've changed to a crossflow block because I have several of them gathering dust and the Pre Crossflow blocks have been assigned to other customer engines. It wont change much other than create a bit more work due to the larger pushrod holes with the wider deck.

I took some photos while attempting to clean up part of the shop yesterday

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg
If you look closely at the cylinder head and deck you can see the areas that need to be plated to close the wider deck

IMG_3442.jpg

The plan for the first engine is to run a full length cam shaft for the distributor, fuel pump eccentric and oil pump. One other aspect id like to maintain is the factory water pump, which presents some complicated belt pathways but is still achievable. As time permits ill keep chipping away with this one.

Cheers,

Andrew Cox
Cox Custom Mechanical

Are the crossflow and the pre crossflow blocks the same width?
Not so much for what your doing, but future kits and customers here. Crossflow blocks are sorta scarce around here

Are the crossflow and the pre crossflow blocks the same width?
Not so much for what your doing, but future kits and customers here. Crossflow blocks are sorta scarce around here
Different width and larger push rod holes in the deck, but the bolt holes are the same.

This will just be a test mule, its actually easier for me to adapt it to the pre crossflow blocks. Its just because I have crossflows lying around at the moment.

Different width and larger push rod holes in the deck, but the bolt holes are the same.

This will just be a test mule, its actually easier for me to adapt it to the pre crossflow blocks. Its just because I have crossflows lying around at the moment.
I see the block is the late 86DA, but do you know what all the Ss are?

Back