All Small Six Gas Tank Cleaning

This relates to all small sixes

pd100x

Hello all, when I got my car the gas cap wasn't on because it was getting ready for paint, now that I'm getting to the point of making it road worthy again, I want to clean out the gas tank because it has sat through two huge dirt/dust storms without the cap on and don't want any problems with that. What are your recommendations for this task?

You first need to remove the Fuel Gauge Unit and any Rubber Parts on and in the Fuel Tank. There are two ways that I have used in the past that have worked excellent for me. First one is if the Fuel Tank is Dirty and also has some Rust inside then I send it to "Ready Strip" and have it Chem Stripped. The other way is to take it to your local Radiator Shop and have them Boil it out good in their Tank if it's just Dirty that should do a good job. After I get the Fuel Tank back I use the Aircraft type Slushing Compound and coat the inside of the Fuel Tank and let it dry then its ready to Paint the exterior of the Tank and straps if your want and reassemble all the removed parts so you can put it back in. There are some DYI ways that Fuel Tanks have been cleaned, by our site members too. Best of luck

Either don't clean it and add a large clear inline filter. Or remove it, shoosh some degreaser around in there, let it sit for twenty minutes and then pressure wash the inside the best you can, and sun dry it.

my $.02 :

working on tank probably easier with removal but to simply check it out, once the large Pickup/Gauge is removed you should get a good peek at whats' needed. Once open , if you see dirt or daylight anywhere inside or on pickup tube - you better remove it ... :cool:

new build - you could add reliable filter after and before fuel pump for collecting any sediment or line corrosion, the '63 had fuel bowl flooding after initial start from tiny particulate contamination.

some early tanks have a drain plug. I tried removing one and snapped off the plug boss - just sayin...

have fun

Last edited:
Back