Hot days, trouble with 89 efi 300

A

Anonymous

Hi

we've been blessed with very high temperatures lately. However, this has caused a lot of grief with the F-150.

A few days ago wife was running some errands with the pickup, and suddenly it refused to start - or actually it did start, run for a moment and then began to miss out bad.

I came an hour later and tried to start, did run for a moment again and then died out.

Had a couple of relays in hand just to try out (the green and brown) but no luck. Thus, towing company was called and we took the F-150 to shop and diagnosed the high pressure pump (which is located under cabin). It had been making noise for a couple of weeks so it was time to change it anyway.

Everything seemed to be fine after pump replacement.

However, today it happened again, this time some 30 miles from home, she was once again on the road. After the latest start she had driven it for a mile or so and then it practically stalled. She barely could drive it away from an intersection.

We let the pickup cool for a few hours and it started and ran properly, so we just drove it home.

I know there's a fan for the injectors. I'm not 100% sure but I have a hunch it has not always turned on when I have thought it should have (on hot days and such).

I'm not sure if this is the cause now.

Because problem seems to be heat-related, and goes away if I let the engine cool for a few hours (might even be less time required) . . . I have a feeling could this be a vapor lock ?

Temperatures have been in the high 90's or even more when this has happened. Otherwise it runs like - well - a scalded monkey.

Anybody have an idea what might be going on ?

I'll answer this myself, since temperatures have varied recently giving me a chance to do some comparisons, on how the engine behaves in different situations..

Indeed this is related to heat.

Although I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause, I will place my bets on the vapor lock.

In fact I will probably do nothing about this. Hot days are a rare occasion here and soon we will be heading towards fall anyway and lower temps.

Back