New To MS, Learning basics

Using that you could also run a Moates Ostrich 2.0 emulator and tune on the fly. No chip burning, but you need to learn a lot about the 1227747 ECU and the definition files it uses.

There's a ton of stuff at thirdgen.org that can get you up to speed on the OBD1 GM systems.

In terms of absolute power, there's likely to be little difference between a well tuned carb or EFI. The diff is mostly in the tractablity of the EFI system. Cold or hot, high or low altitude the thing adapts and runs. Even the OBD1 has a block learn mode that will tune the car to a degree over time as you drive it. Idle speed will be stable, spark advance will be exactly what it should be. The end result is that even with TBI the car will usually pick up some MPG and be easier to drive over a broad range of conditions.

thanks MustangSix!

there is good and bad on both sides...

I am on the fence... I want both, I like the control of the carb, and the ease of the TBI...

I'm not looking for an MPG boost, I do travel around for fun and elevation changes make it a dog on the road. the carb is cheaper as it's already on and working. but the tbi would fix alot of travel annoyances. hmmm decisions decisions... :unsure:

I think it will come down to fan control... my electric fan needs a auto switch... and a hi/low at that... if so I'll save up and go for it. the comfort in the long run will out last the annoyances on any road trip.

I know they do, but I'm not sure if AFI would provide a lead for fan control. I'm asking and it seems possible what they are saying.

would I have to set 'inital' timing with the TBI setup? I would have my DUI converted so the ECM controls timing. or does it figure that out automaticly.

You have to set initial timing. There is a timing control plug that you disconnect on a TBI system. When you pull that, the computer is not in the loop and the timing goes to its base setting, usually zero degrees. Set the dizzy to have a timing light read zero (or whatever base is supposed to be on your application), plug it back in, and the computer takes over, moving timing back to wherever it's mapped. With the computer hooked up a timing light will be dancing all over the place as the computer adjusts timing constantly.

AFI should be able to easily give you a fan control output. The temp is programmed into the chip and there is an output wire on the ECU. That wire will go to ground when the ECU senses the programmed temp. You use it to control a relay, but not the fan directly.

Back