Radiator fan selection help

What's your preferred radiator fan type?

• Electric fan

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Clutch fan

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Fixed flex fan

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fixed solid fan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Froggy

Hello everyone!
I am looking to change out my heavy fixed steel radiator fan and hopefully after this discussion myself and hopefully others who will read this in the future will be able to make an educated decision. I've come to try and find an answer to the question, "Which Radiator fan type is best for a daily driver application?". Mainly i'm here to hear your opinions and what you guys think on the topic. I've been digging around the internet for a whole week for answers but in the end come up with a lot of contradicting answers(mainly of electric fans).

For starters my daily driver is a 74' 4door ford maverick, 250cid L6, a fairly stock engine with mild improvements(porting), DUI dizzy, 2V conversion with a holley 350, power steering and AC(I feel like AC is a big factor when it comes to engine cooling), and an 100 amp alternator(Comes as a factor if electric fan cooling is the path to go with). The car is well tuned, it runs well and it doesn't over heat.

My steel fixed fan is a 4 blade fan which is for some reason asymmetrical which concerns me.
My main concerns with my current setup are:
-The possible loss of power.
-The stress it puts on the water pump(since it's asymmetrical).

So there's a number of options when it comes to radiator fans:
-Fixed fan: A simple fan that is belt driven.
-Fixed flex fan: A fan that flattens out at higher RPMs to reduce engine drag, it is belt driven.
-Clutch fan: A fan that uses a clutch system to determine it's rotation.
-Electric fan: Uses sensors to determine when to turn on or off.

The following points are what i have in mind and why i'm torn in choosing the right system for my application, needless the say whatever fan type is chosen a proper fan shroud will be used(fabricated by me).

Fixed fan
-Cooling: I think it cools the best, a massive metal fan moving air, how can it not be the best?
-Reliability: Most reliable and basically bullet proof. While odds of something happening to it are slim, it puts stress on the water pump which may cause it damage especially if the fan isn't balanced properly(like in my case). You can imagine a laundry machine where you bolt some 10kg weight to the inside of it and make it spin, there will be high centrifugal force where the high weight is which will cause stress to machine.
-Horsepower: people claim it makes you lose a lot of horsepower because of the effort it takes to move it around, and i'm not sure about that! well sure, maybe when you're stationary it does, but my theory is when the car is moving at high speed the wind itself helps propel the fan, reducing the stress and effort on the belt system.
-Fuel economy: If it really causes the loss of HP then fuel economy is hurt as well, it seems like the worst choice for fuel economy of the four.
Noise: No clue.
-Price: Usually costs slightly more than flex plates, and you do need a spacer to clear out the pulley system. in general cheap.

In conclusion I chose to replace my fixed fan with one of the other 3 options, so i say no to having a fixed fan.

Fixed flex fan
-Cooling: Probably same as a regular fixed fan? may be a little worse since it changes it's shape at higher rpms, but on a daily driven car you high rpm at highway speeds. The wind probably plays a bigger factor in cooling than the radiator then.
-Reliability: It's a solid 2nd place in reliability, what is concerning about these flex fans is that they are made of a thin metal or nylon(plastic basically). And when spinning thin riveted metal at high RPM there's always the possibility one of the blades can break off, while very unlikely to happen in a daily driven car it is still a possibility.
Other than that they cause less stress to the water pump since they flex out at high RPM and basically flatten, reducing drag.
-Horsepower: I can't imagine a nylon flex fan which weighs less than 1lb causing much more horsepower loss than an electric fan.
-Fuel economy: Thinks it corresponds to the loss of horsepower.
-Noise: People claim it's the loudest
-Price: Slightly cheaper than the heavier regular fans, still need that spacer. Nylon fans are dirt cheap(16$ on summit racing for my car).

Been thinking of using a flex fan, it's reliable, no clutch or electrics, odds of getting you stranded and near zero, and it's cheap to replace. after a few years of use the nylon may become brittle, but what's 16$ for a new fan...

Clutch fan
-Cooling: Probably exactly what is needed, since the clutch system engages and disengages depending on heat it knows when it should engage and disengage .
-Reliability: Less reliable than the last two. While the clutch doesn't suddenly goes bad, it does deteriorate over time and eventually will stop working, when the clutch is shot the fan won't provide any air pulling and the engine will overheat.
-Horsepower: Since it disengages when it's cold, at higher speeds, it's probably the same as the electric fan since it's basically disconnected and not putting stress on your engine.
-Fuel economy: It disconnects itself when not needed, sounds good for fuel economy i guess.
-Noise: No clue
-Price: Not as cheap as the last two, clutches are expensive and more likely to need replacing than flex fans.

The whole clutch parts sounds like a reliability issue, i don't have part stores in my country where i can just go get a new clutch. if on a road trip and the car starts overheating because the clutch went bad, Trip's done for. Kind of scares me.

Electric fan
-Cooling: Probably best of them all, there are different options to fans, 1 or 2 speed, different CFM ratings, quite easy to pick what's right for you.
-Reliability: All the electronics if wired properly will probably work well until the don't. An electric fan won't warn you before it goes bad, it just will. I'm not sure how frequent such thing is but considering today's cars run electric fans, they do seem superior to everything else while they do work. Getting a readily available fan will make your life easier since you can always replace it if it goes bad instead of rewiring everything to work with other fans, or better yet, fans with a replaceable motor.
-Horsepower: People claim that out of all the options electric fans steal the least amount of horsepower but I'm skeptical. When electric fans work, they draw a lot of amperage which basically puts stress on the alternator. When an alternator is at stress it causes it to act like a brake, causing more effort to spin it. I don't know much about the gains in horse power using an electric fan.
-Fuel economy: Seems to be the most efficient, no need to move some metal fan around. Only thing that seems to hurt mileage is the fact that it puts stress on the alternator.
-Noise: Kinda loud, i think? maybe some can be quiet?
-Price: The least cheap option, Fans are expensive, the more CFM the higher the price(Not always though). you'll need to do some electrical work and upgrade your alternator if you haven't already.

I've been considering the electric fan route, but two things are stopping me. which fan is right? Reliability is a big factor, can't have a fan go out after 500 hours of driving.... Second, I'm not sure if it's normal but i have 4 inches of space from my radiator to my pulley while my radiator core is only 2 inches .

It's really hard for me to choose, personally i'm torn between a flex fan or an electric fan. I really want to read what you people think, and what you guys use! I'm sorry that this post is really long, but my intentions are good and hopefully others will also learn something about radiator fans. While they're not as fancy and exciting as upgrading your engine's performance or the car's suspension they're a crucial part of the car which is why is why i brought this all up :)
I'll apologize in advance if i made something hard to understand, English isn't my native language but i did try my best!

Welcome aboard.
5 blade clutch fan with a shroud.
Better yet since you have a 100 amp alt. go electric room permitting.

wsa111":2hwaazsz said:
Welcome aboard.
5 blade clutch fan with a shroud.
Better yet since you have a 100 amp alt. go electric room permitting.

Any suggestion on what electric fan to go with? Everyone seems to recommend i get an assembly from a 92-95 3.8L ford taurus. Problem is, i'm not sure it will even fit, found the part and it's dimensions are Width: 17.86, Height: 22.78 Depth: 4.66, Depth won't clear. Anywhere i read about it, people either put it with a V8 or an I6 in a truck, both of which have more clearance then me i think.

I am not sure how much room you have in the Mav.
But for an electric the SideWinder will work. Or find a Spal fan that moves a lot of CFM and mount it offset from the water pump so it will fit.

Did the Mav have a clutch fan? I am not sure you will find one the will fit. I have some notes somewhere with a part number for a think clutch fan combo.

Hi Froggy, you have pertty well researched fans and some of their effects however you have a few misconceptions.

Any fan connected to a water pump that's not in balance will take out the water pumps bearings as well as too much belt tension, being asymmetrical dosen't mater! If you are feeling any vibration coming from an imbalance of a cooling fan then you should immediately replace the fan. All mechanical fans will use power and decrease the engines effecancy resulting in less engine Power and less MPG in economy. Testing on Dyno's prove that all the engine driven accessories use a considerable amount of Horse Power to turn them. This is about 15 HP for the tipical water pump, fan, and alternator, having power steering and AC adds some more loss. It has also been proven that a car or truck dosen't even need a fan at speeds of above 35 to 45 MPH (can very some by the vechical's size, shape, and weight) at these higher speed the air flow over the radiators tubes, fins, and into the engine compartment can sufficiently cool the engine.

"-Fixed fan: A simple fan that is belt driven."

-Pro's its Simple, Cheap and Effective
-Con Robs some Power and Decreases Cars MPG

"-Fixed flex fan: A fan that flattens out at higher RPMs to reduce engine drag, it is belt driven."
-Yes mostly True.
-Pro's it's also simple and cheap, more engine power than fixed blade fans and a little better MPG
-Cons still causes a lose of some Power and still less MPG, old fiberglass fans would self destruct.

"-Clutch fan: A fan that uses a clutch system to determine it's rotation."
-Pro's relatively cheap and very long lastly, free up lost engine power and gives an increase in MPG
-Cons they can fail though usally it's not that drastic and will still provide some cooling

"-Electric fan: Uses sensors to determine when to turn on or off."

-Pro's very reliable, only on when the temperature is high enough to require the extra cooling, offers more engine power, and greater MPG
-Con's much higher cost and may in some cases require upgrades to the cars electrical system and are sometimes harder to fit.

"The following points are what i have in mind and why i'm torn in choosing the right system for my application, needless to say whatever fan type is chosen a proper fan shroud will be used(fabricated by me)."

Excellent plan, because a fan shroud is well proven to increase the cooling systems effecency!

"Most reliable and basically bullet proof. While odds of something happening to it are slim, it puts stress on the water pump which may cause it damage especially if the fan isn't balanced properly(like in my case). You can imagine a laundry machine where you bolt some 10kg weight to the inside of it and make it spin, there will be high centrifugal force where the high weight is which will cause stress to machine."

Yes

"-Horsepower: people claim it makes you lose a lot of horsepower because of the effort it takes to move it around, and i'm not sure about that! well sure, maybe when you're stationary it does, but my theory is when the car is moving at high speed the wind itself helps propel the fan, reducing the stress and effort on the belt system."

Yes any mechanical fan will absolutely use engine power to turn this has been proven by many tests done both by manufacturers as well as other party's. I sincerely doubt that wind has much of an effect at high speeds in turning or helping to turn the fan since it's tied (locked) to the engine by the belt and it turns at engine RPM plus devided by the crankshaft to fan pulley ratio. Plus at those speeds the fan isn't even needed.

"-Fuel economy: If it really causes the loss of HP then fuel economy is hurt as well, it seems like the worst choice for fuel economy of the four."

Yes absolutely

Noise: No clue.

Yes there can be some fan noise in most case's they are not heard much until higher engine RPM speeds with the fixed and flex fans and than rarely since the car is also moving at faster speeds. Fan noise rated from the least to most in this order.

Fixed Fan
Flex Fan
Clutch Fan
Electric Fan

The Clutch and Electric types Fans can be heard when the cars setting still idling when they turn on.

-Price: Usually costs slightly more than flex plates, and you do need a spacer to clear out the pulley system. in general cheap.

Yes. For flex fans I use the factory Ford Fans or good quality metal ones seen a few fiberglass fans come apart. Fan Spicer's are a good way to increase the cooling systems effentcy to place the fan in its proper location as well as providing pulley clearance. A fan without a shroud ideally should be set up at 1 inch from the radiators core for best air pulling effect. With a fan shroud the fixed type fan should be set up to be in the opening of 1 inch bigger than the fan diameter and 1/2 of the fans width for max air pulling through the whole radiators core. The same for a flex fan except it should 3/4 of the way into the shroud for max air pulling through the compleate radator core.

"In conclusion I chose to replace my fixed fan with one of the other 3 options, so i say no to having a fixed fan."

That's a good move.

"Been thinking of using a flex fan, it's reliable, no clutch or electrics, odds of getting you stranded and near zero, and it's cheap to replace. after a few years of use the nylon may become brittle, but what's 16$ for a new fan..."

Yes they are a bit better choice, if you could find the later model Maverick factory Flex Fan and radiator shroud (my 1977 Mabverick 250, had the C4, Power Steering & Brakes, plus AC) came stock that way, this would be a nice upgraded system that's so simple. I don't trust the plastic flex fans much. It's not so much about their weight as the the amount of power they will give back and how much they will flex.

"The whole clutch parts sounds like a reliability issue, i don't have part stores in my country where i can just go get a new clutch. if on a road trip and the car starts overheating because the clutch went bad, Trip's done for. Kind of scares me."

The Clutch Fan unit was a well engineered system that give a noticeable increase in power and economy with old school simplicity like the two above fans. It also was quite reliable with all the factory Ford designed parts, so if you consider this system get quality parts.

"I've been considering the electric fan route, but two things are stopping me. which fan is right? Reliability is a big factor, can't have a fan go out after 500 hours of driving.... Second, I'm not sure if it's normal but i have 4 inches of space from my radiator to my pulley while my radiator core is only 2 inches."

There is a nice fan that has an offset motor to help in a tight fitting engine compartment, it is pricey.

"It's really hard for me to choose, personally i'm torn between a flex fan or an electric fan. I really want to read what you people think, and what you guys use! I'm sorry that this post is really long, but my intentions are good and hopefully others will also learn something about radiator fans. While they're not as fancy and exciting as upgrading your engine's performance or the car's suspension they're a crucial part of the car which is why is why i brought this all up :)
I'll apologize in advance if i made something hard to understand, English isn't my native language but i did try my best!"

You did a good job explaining your wants and concerns! Yes a flex fan is good choice for severial reasons they work good, are low cost, they are a bit more Efficient over a fixed fan, and can also give a bit better economy. There's no doubt about it an electric cooling fan system is probably the most effective for less power loss and economy otherwise all the newer cars wouldn't be using them. Their biggest drawback is the starting cost. Finding a used OEM system if your able to and that fits can reduce that considerably. Best of luck (y) :nod:

By "asymmetrical", I assume you mean that the blades aren't evenly spaced? If I remember, many stock 4-blade fans had one pair of opposite blades set slightly ahead (or behind) the other opposite pair (looking at the fan from the front or rear as it mounts on the engine.) Looked more like an X than a +. This doesn't make any imbalance, I believe that the reason for this is to reduce fan noise.

I think space is going to be your biggest issue, not sure you have the room for an electric fan or fan clutch. If that's the case, a flex fan would be the way to go. Simple, a bit more efficient that stock, and reliable.

@65coupei6
When i bought it, it had the same fan it currently has. I haven't managed to find much information about the clutch assembly mainly because no one seems to care to talk about it. And as for the electric, I'm worried about clearance issues. With the 4 inches to the water pump pulley also means that the out most pulley which goes to the power steering is also 4 inches from the radiator along with the power steering pump....
So yeah not sure electric is the way to go, and i haven't found information about the clutch assembly for the Maverick

EDIT: I've checked the SideWinder fans, their slim fans are still too big for me(5 inches), while the side mounted motor fans are genius! and would work, at over 400$ i don't think i have a spare kidney to sell for one :(

@bubba22349
Mate the amount of information you've given amazes me, really cleared my head and given me new points to think about. I wonder what do you think about the clutch assembly compared to the flex fan? what would you rather use in my place?

@jamyers
Yeah the blades are not evenly spaced, and they're literally asymmetrical, unfortunately i can't take a proper picture but I've recently fabricated a fan shroud because the old fiberglass one got cracked and after taking the fan off I've noticed it has weird fan blade placement, i took a circular piece of metal to cover holes in the middle and tried to balance it on a really thin tube. It was then that I realized there's a weight difference because of the blades and so it made me want to replace it. It was there when i got the car two years ago.
Seems like a bad idea to use, and logic tells me that because there's a weight difference, during rotation, it'll always pull more towards the higher weight side, putting stress on the water pump bearing and damaging it.

Yeah a flex fan seems like my best option because of the space issue, clutch started to interest me but i couldn't find any information about it.

@chad
Yeah i've been looking at it earlier, not sure if i should get the nylon or the metal one(link to the nylon: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4947). The metal one is 4 lbs which the nylon is only 0.6 lbs, that's over six times lighter! less effort to spin it around.
As for it exploding, i mean sure nylon is more brittle than steel but when it explodes i doubt it'll do that much damage, and i can always just replace it every few years just to stay safe. And I have trust issues with riveted steel going around in really high RPM, that just doesn't sound right to me, if it comes apart i'm pretty sure i'm looking at a hood hole repair.
If i decide to go with the flex fan, think the nylon would be a better option?

:beer: Glad I was able to be of some help. Yes I have been a "Fan" of the "Clutch Fans" (pun intended) ever since they stated making them in the later 1960's. But seriously they combine the best of the simple fixed fan with a thermostatic controlled clutch that allows it to freewheel when the engine temps are cool enough, once its set up it does this job without a though just like the fixed and flex fans. I don't know of a set up that fits on the Mavericks but am sure there is one that will work off one of a Ford or aftermarket. Granted with the advent of the electric fans they have lost some of their appeal but it's still a good system. (y) :nod:

What I like about electric fans is you can set it up to run some after turning off the engine..This helps to keep heat soak from turning the carb into a percolator, that makes shortly after restarts hard in hot weather.

Yeah, an assymetric fan that's not balanced is a bad idea, not sure where that one came from... I'd be replacing it as well.

As far as nylon vs. riveted steel, I wouldn't worry - OEM's used rivets for decades with no issues. If I recall, the 'problems' with flex fans came when they used some sort of plastic rivited to a steel hub or blade, the plastic would fatigue and come off. But I wouldn't see a problem with either a solid nylon or a riveted all-steel one, whichever fits / looks better to you should work fine for years and years.

Thank you all for the comments and opinions, originally the maverick did not come with a clutch fan, but a fixed steel fan. I also have a triple pulley which makes clearance even worse.
[image]http://1bad6t.com/Maverick/repair/images/untitled249.gif[/image]
And with less than 4 inches of space from the radiator to the pulley i think i have two viable options, flex fan, or electric and I've decided to go with a nylon flex fan for now, mainly because of the price. I will look into maybe getting a dual electric fan in the future, since two small once will give me the clearance i need however they're too expensive for me right now.
Thank you everyone for the input, thanks to you guys i could make an educated decision. Personally understanding what you're doing/choosing is always better than blindly doing what others tell you. So thanks again and hopefully someone else will find this helpful :beer:

8546 can be tossed out or different lengths used.

I problem solve, research, cost/benefit ratios, etc when a major problem surfaces. We pay the automotive engineers a pretty good salary for yrs of college, years of design and component/systems improvement, research, testing. They are smarter at this than I'll ever B. Give it to them, leave it there...
It's all 'over thinkin' to me.
Example - I asked my da: "What do U wanna do for father's day?" She in essence would not answ: "I don't know. How bout you?"she said. I said "No, I'm serious, we usually spend a 1/2 hr at this. Let's do this easy this time. Just pick a place, tell me and we can head out." She's 23 y/o, has a life, I don't care, just really wanna spend time w/her, she's made some in her busy life, let's get on with it & drop the phones !

The only reason I process this Q at all is due to fording some hi water round here. I like the ele to shut off/not push some heavy H2O around during crossings but my model falcon has 6, 10 inches more clearance than yours...

Froggy where are you located? I might have a flex fan I was using a while back still in my garage. It's yours for free if you want it. PM me.

IN your above illustration except for the three bolt 200 water pump that's the exact system my 1977 Maverick 250 used including the factory 5 blade flex fan. Is that what you have now? If so that set up works very well. (y) :nod:

@65coupei6
I appreciate that but i'm from Israel, kind of far away i suppose :D

@bubba22349
I have a different fan(Mine is 4 blade steel blade), and i also have a triple groove pulley(which is offset past the fan bolt holes). The original fan shroud broke so i had to fabricate a metal one(A replacement costs over 100$, not including the extra 100$ oversea shipping....Nooooo thank you).
The system works well, engine doesn't seem to overheat even though it usually gets to 35c/95f degrees outside. thing is, with AC on in traffic, it starts overheating slightly, so i just usually run without it. I still have the original steel radiator as well, my dad suggested that an aluminum one would work better but i'm not quite sure.

:unsure: yes Israel is far, and it's a place I had always hoped to visit someday, at my age not sure i will make it.

A well made fan shroud helps pull air through the compleate surface area of radiators core. It dose sound like your cooling system is in fairly good condition a better fan with 5 or 6 blades will certainly be a big help over a 4 blade fan during those times of you setting in traffic and running the AC when the locale air temps are higher.

Stock OEM Ford radiator cores are made of copper and the top and bottom coolant tanks are usually made of brass both these metals are very good conductors that transfer the engines heat by radiation and by the air blowing or flowing over the cooling fins surrounding and touching the cores tubes. The radiators side mounting brackets are the only part that are made of steel. Your Dads right an Aluminum Radiator could cool a good bit better. Best of luck (y) :nod:

one thing I mention now and then is: ask a Q stating the problem rather than something abt the solution.
An auto is a system (ele sys: charging, ignit systems, lighting, etc; hydraulic, fuel systems, etc), do something to 1 part it effects many others. One problem usually does not have one solution. Like much of life it takes ahundrd lill things put together to make real change. Coolant system: look at all the parts, there's the solution to the problem(s):
* fan 1/2 in & 1/2 out of shroud;
* leaks in system;
* correct shroud;
* coolant - mix, age, cleanliness;
* water pump - operation, condition; cavitation;
* heater core - leaks, condition;
* block - water passages;
* hoses - colapse, leaks;
* thermostat - condition, temp rating;
* radiator (sz, clean?, construction, materials - I like ol style copper)
* radiator cap - pressure rating, condition, design;
* flush system last yr or 2?
Do I have a problem or wish a change. Y, what is the best way to go abt it. What is the problem if any? When does it come abt, can I tell Y by changing conditions? Clues: sound, smell, looks, feel (2 kinds), and yes, with knowledge & intelligence - taste. Approach from cheapest, easiest solution 1st. How would that effect the rest of the overall system? Today's problem? What has been done here recently. When did the change (I now have) 1st surface? It's fun to solve problems/puzzles - to be successful (real fun) U must B a lill scientist...or not.
Not: When I 1st started out I hada car that would not start one day. WELL, I knew abt a starter, my dad hada few tools ona shelf. I traced a wire, found the starter, struggled 1/2 day, got it off, got a ride for a new AND it went on much quicker that it came off - I learned a thing or 3. BUT still no start. A few more component replacements (regulator, alternator, I forget what all I did now - I DO remember the solution) and another day'n 1/2... it started. Now I hada car w/alota new parts but not enuff $ for gas for several wks. I did not learn the 4th thing I needed to learn - "How the system involve works, what is needed to trouble shoot it." But i did learn the 5th lesson. Not 1 I sought out. "Don't spend money 'you don't have'." HTH, ask more if not...

he may B just doin a poll.
Hasn;t shown up in overa mo...

Back