Rod hits camshaft

First things first.... stock cams are automatically ground with 4 degrees of advance. Clay Smith cams are ground straight up, hence the reason they need to be advanced 4 degrees. This is probably why they look different in the photos. Next, I'd be willing to bet the cam is not degreed properly. Whenever you install a cam (stock or aftermarket) you need to degree it. Don't guess... don't rely on the dots... DEGREE IT. If you leave it like it is your just asking for trouble, especially when the motor heats up and the parts start to expand. Get a degree wheel and a dial indicator and double check the cam timing. If it's a 112 lobe center, it needs to be set at 108 degrees. While I won't say it's impossible, I do think it's highly unlikely that it's a bad core. In the past ten years I've sold well over 1000 cams, and we've never had a clearance issue. However, if you double check the cam timing and you still have problems, give me a call.

I won't be double-checking it. To do it correctly I would have to pull the head, replace the gaskets, etc.
I sold my last steel gaskets to you Mike, so that you could get some up for us.
It was degreed over a year ago before the engine was ever run.
If it hadn't conformed to advertised specs at that time it would have been returned at that time.

If I say I did it right and did not, then it too would have to be wrong.
If I did it right then it is right, and conforms to advertised specifications.
I am satisfied in my findings and will deal with the issue as is.
I simply do not have the time and money to play around with this.

However, if anyone has a cam of which they can take and post a photo of the area between cylinders 4 & 3 I would be most appreciative.
Some hard evidence with which to compare would be preferable to speculation.
Remember, 600x450 pixels.

Back