All Small Six Sniper 2v EFI on a '74 Comet 250... Will this fit??

This relates to all small sixes

Buck62

We're looking to do the 2v conversion on our '74 Comet with a 250 and the plan is to have the shop mill out the hole to an oval for the 2 barrel spacer.
The purpose is to go with a Holley 2300 Sniper 2-barrel EFI system. Our only worry is clearance, since the 250 is a taller motor. The Holley website says the Sniper is 3.28 inches tall. I'm also concerned about the larger round top plate where the air cleaner goes. Will the valve cover interfere in any way? I've seen people do 2 barrel conversions on Mustangs that works fine. Just haven't seen it done on a Maverick or Comet.
Oh, and yes, we plan to have the head tanked, valve job, and port/polish work. I'm just concerned about height to make sure we can close the hood and any other clearance issues.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

The 70's Maverick/Comet has the least clearance of the small block six equipped cars. I ran into this when building the 250 /2300 carbd' /Vortech SC'd 74. Instead of modifying the engine compartment I used a 'parts' car 76 Comet front clip and added the iconic/signature traditional Ford "Teardrop Bubble" for needed clearance. An earlier forced induction effort with Buick derived turbo setup used the Comet GT parts car's OEM hood scoop raised to a silly height on threaded rods.

My '61 Comet 250 Tri-Power uses same Teardrop scoop proven useful for forced air at speed and helpful engine bay cooling after shutdown especially when equipped with Headers.

have fun

. .

Yes that would be a nice combo for a 250 six in a Comet or Maverick, since those are fairly new nt sure there has been an install done yet, so your breaking new ground. Lots of people have done the Holley 2300 carb 2V's as well as the seemular Autolite / Motorcraft 2V's. I think it should fit but you could also slot or redrill your motor mounts to drop the 250 engine down in the chassis a little for extra help you might be able to gain a 1/2 inch drop or more in engine height with some work. Best of luck and take some pictures and let us know how your project turns out.

2V Carb's Direct Mounted on a Ford Six Log Head

Thanks for the help, guys.

Bubba... yeah, this will be breaking new ground from what I've seen and read.
I haven't seen anyone do this yet an a 250 Mav or Comet.

Powerband, it looks like you have the low-rise carb air filter kit with your turbo (which is really cool).
Do you think using a low-rise carb hat like the one below would do the trick for the clearance issue?

Last edited:
That Offy' hat is real nice dimensionally and a mockkup or build can help prove if it works on your application. With Sniper, what type Fuel Pump setup is required and is Sniper suitable for forced induction - blow through? .

A concern with any Log mounted carb is the VC and linkage clearance. 2Bbl mods may require raising the flange height with spacers. I mocked up an offset to a slightly raised 2bbl flange, moving 2bbl out from VC for milled/filled direct mount with typical 2bbl. I don't advocate hanging fuel bowl over exh. headers. Orientation may not be a problem with Sniper? .

I liked this one someone made for a big block six (not mine)

for VC clearance with 2300 on VI 2X1 adapter, VI carb hat and necesssary 1/2" spacer

. . .

I like that offset spacer. Although, it looks odd with only 2 visible mounting bolts.
I'd like to think everything will fit okay with a Classic Inlines spacer underneath, but it's still a crapshoot.
I think we can make it work, but I prefer not to have any major issues and especially not to cut up the hood.

Back