Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

My Budget 250 build

Moderator: Mod Squad

lavron

Re: My Budget 250 build

Post #351 by lavron » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 am

Made a trip down to the highway and back, I think that I made it back complete. The drive/road is rough enough I can't go too fast and I live on a big hill, so going down was mostly a braking test :P I did give it enough coming back to get second gear for a minute but like I said it is rough enough I don't want to go too fast, still waiting on a pavement test.

I went by the muffler shop yesterday and talked to them, the guy that does exhaust is only there on Friday so I may try and load the Comet up next week and take it for him to look at. If I can get the mufflers hooked up I might try and get on the road for a mile or so and see how it does.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, 250- I6, Air Ride, Mll, 8.8 LSD, 4 wheel Discs
Currently a Build in Progress- Whatever I do it will be awesome!

lavron

Post #352 by lavron » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:36 pm

I was like a 1 man car show in town today :P Got a lot of surprised looks when they saw the engine, even more, when they heard it run :lol: at least one guy said "I am guessing that isn't a stock motor."

See Ya,
Mike

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #353 by bubba22349 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 pm

:beer: Yes I bet it attracted some attention Mike, not many people have even seen one of these early Mercury Comets! :thumbup: :nod:
Even a bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

Current project is a 1988 John Deere 420 Garden Tractor I need a few small parts to get it fixed, plus some cosmetic items, maybe a few attachments, if you happen to have or know of JD 420 parts would welcome the help!

My Ex-Inline 6 Fleet 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #354 by xctasy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:31 am

Log Head..knocks them Dead. They cant handle the Truth of a few good men like yourself.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

lavron

Post #355 by lavron » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm

xctasy wrote:Log Head..knocks them Dead. They cant handle the Truth of a few good men like yourself.

Yes the un-enlightened that think the only way to build a car is to stuff a V8 in there, I do admit it is probably the easy route (and cheaper most likely) but what fun is there in doing that :P

Seriously the reaction that I got was worth the effort 8) I think in the future when the Comet is "done" I can pull into a car show/cruise in and get way more attention than a guy who pulls in with a V8 he spent a mint on, not that that is my goal (mostly) I am just doing what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks.

bubba22349 wrote:Yes I bet it attracted some attention Mike, not many people have even seen one of these early Mercury Comets!

I was telling a friend that back when I was daily driving the Comet 20+ years ago that I almost couldn't stop at a gas station without someone coming up and asking me about the car, almost no one knew what it was. One of the places I went Friday was the local Ford dealership, the owner was one of the first ones out there and least he asked if it was a '64 or '65 he has a rather large collection of classic Fords and hot rods, occasionally one is parked on the showroom floor and there are several sitting in a room just off of the service dept.

I guess when the Comet is on the road again I better plan extra time to get someplace and practice at opening the hood a lot :roll: :P :rolflmao:

See Ya,
Mike

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #356 by powerband » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:08 am

Yes the un-enlightened that think the only way to build a car is to stuff a V8 in there..., ...I can pull into a car show/cruise in and get way more attention than a guy who pulls in with a V8 he spent a mint on, not that that is my goal (mostly) I am just doing what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks.

... The TYPE of interest that your car attracts will be different from Hi-Buck BBC' SS's glam-boys who just repeat Bowtie nonsense to each other. Fabricators, builders, car rescuers' and bewildered machinists often involve me in serious build specification descriptions - not how much glitter is in the BC/CC ...

have fun

'61 T'Bolt Six: Ford 250 Small Block Six Bored for TRW 258CID Pistons, Clifford Shot Peened Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Cloyes timing set, Melling blueprinted HP oil pump, Offenhauser Tri-Power 3X1 aluminum intake manifold w/ Offy progressive linkage, Modified Holley 1904 series glass bowl carbs, GM HEI ignition trigger, Champion Racing spark plugs., Matte black/alum. 6=8 Clifford VC. SFI 157 neutral balance-light weight flywheel spinning Centerforce Stage II Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, 8” 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Shelby sway bar, "Caltrac" type traction devices Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 8 Point Roll bar, 5 point Safety Belts, Mustang 5.0 alum. racing radiator, Perma-Cool electric pusher fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulator, Hooker 6602 dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio, vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights…
" Everything in my garage has a story ..."

lavron

Post #357 by lavron » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Got the exhaust hooked up yesterday, because of the air ride and triangulated 4-link he was not able to get the pipes over the rear axle so he just did a pair of turn-downs in front of the axle.

I am not sure how much the 18" glass packs muffle but the sound is in the back now instead of right inside the engine bay, now I can hear a lifter making a little noise so I am going to try and get the motor warmed up some time and reset the lash on the valves. I also developed a problem where it won't stay running very long like it is running out of fuel, I think I may know what is going on, the fuel pump wiring is a little dodgy so I got a new connector to go on the pump, this time I bought real Delphi Weathertech plugs instead of knockoff ones, so far everywhere I have used those they have failed, hopefully, lesson learned on that :roll:

I gave it a quick test drive after the exhaust was installed just up the street and back, I was able to get 3rd gear so I made it up one more gear than the last time :P the car really feels good so far, I did have a little pop out of the carb between the two-three shift so I need to check the timing as well and maybe bring a little advance out of it.

See Ya,
Mike

gonluis

Post #358 by gonluis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 am

So how's the sound of your exhaust? Is it loud?

lavron

Post #359 by lavron » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 am

gonluis wrote:So how's the sound of your exhaust? Is it loud?

It sounds ok, better when revved up but I still haven't set the valves so that may change the way it runs a little, it is pretty loud still but at least the sound is to the back of the car.

My next project is to try and get the valve lash set properly, I am hoping that is part of the issue with it not running smoothly as it could plus I can hear a little valve train noise now, it seems to want a lot of advance to run and then there is the possibility of it popping through the carb, currently I have the timing mark sitting just above the top mark with the light (I think that top mark is 12 degrees BTDC)

See Ya,
Mike

pmuller9

Post #360 by pmuller9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Larger cams with increased valve overlap require more initial timing.
You may find that the engine wants more than 12 degrees initial.

lavron

Post #361 by lavron » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Larger cams with increased valve overlap require more initial timing.
You may find that the engine wants more than 12 degrees initial.

I ended up somewhere above the top mark on the pointer, going to guess 14 to 16, and got it to idle descent at 750 RPM, after adjusting the valves twice I finally decided the ticking at the front of the motor is the PVC valve.

Also if I plug the PVC line the engine appears to run worse than when it is hooked up to the valve, is the carb designed to operate properly with what is, in essence, a giant vacuum leak you think? That may not even be the proper place for the PVC valve to hook up, I thought I checked that and it was however.

As soon as my slow internet finishes uploading the video I will link to it and you guys can hear it idling and see if you think it is ok.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #362 by lavron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 am

Ok here she is idling after a couple of days working on it :roll:

64 Comet 250 Idling

Maybe the experts here can tell me if it is sounding ok.

See Ya,
Mike

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #363 by bubba22349 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 pm

HI Mike sounds like your droping a cylinder to me. I didn't notice that you had a vacuum gauge on your dash if you do what dose its readings look like? The engine seems to also have a very slight shaking at idle too. Another way you could test this is to loosen up the plug wires and use a spark plug wire pliers (insulated) to pull one wire at a time with the engine idling this should cause a noticeable drop in RPM's on each cylinder if you find one that doesn't change any or very much that will be the cylinder to check. My guess is you might have one valve or more that are set a little to tight on your valve adjustment and the PCV bounceing open and closing kind of confirms this. Looking good with the grille and headlite trim fitted, I sure like that emblem on the grille too. Best of luck :thumbup: :nod:

Current project is a 1988 John Deere 420 Garden Tractor I need a few small parts to get it fixed, plus some cosmetic items, maybe a few attachments, if you happen to have or know of JD 420 parts would welcome the help!

My Ex-Inline 6 Fleet 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

lavron

Post #364 by lavron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:53 pm

bubba22349 wrote:HI Mike sounds like your droping a cylinder to me. I didn't notice that you had a vacuum gauge on your dash if you do what dose its readings look like? The engine seems to also have a very slight shaking at idle too. Another way you could test this is to loosen up the plug wires and use a spark plug wire pliers (insulated) to pull one wire at a time with the engine idling this should cause a noticeable drop in RPM's on each cylinder if you find one that doesn't change any or very much that will be the cylinder to check. My guess is you might have one valve or more that are set a little to tight on your valve adjustment and the PCV bounceing open and closing kind of confirms this. Looking good with the grille and headlite trim fitted, I sure like that emblem on the grille too. Best of luck :thumbup: :nod:

Thanks I will check I am going to suspect #6 (The header pipe has never discolred on it like the others). I don't have a vacuum gauge seems like I inherited one but will have to dig through some boxes.

Yes, I could hear the little miss at the tailpipes.

How hard is it to adjust the valves on the little six while it is running? I wasn't sure with the adjuster moving if it could be done too easy, if I undeerstand the process correctly you loosen each adjuster until it taps and then tighten until it stops plus 1/4 to 1 full turn (which I assume could be done with the engine off). Part of the issue was getting it back to idle on its own, which it is now, so if I can adjust the valves running I don't have other things to worry about.

I am sure I will get it all worked out, might be good to get one of those spark testers now and make sure fire is arriving to each plug.

See Ya,
Mike

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #365 by bubba22349 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Yes It's much harder to adjust these six's while the engine is running since the adjuster is right over the push Rod like on the Y Block V8's so there's lots of adjuster movement but it's possible if the idle RPM is low enough. My preference is to always adjust valve lash while the engine is running even if it's a bit messy. Seems like lots of people have trouble with getting the rockers set to tight because it's difficult not over tightening the rocker adjusters while trying to feel for that very slight push Rod drag that's the zero lash point for a Hydrolic lifter. Your right once you find the zero lash point it's I/4 to 1 turn tighter. Best of luck Mike. :thumbup: :nod:

Dons66

Post #366 by Dons66 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:47 pm

I have a 250 i decked the block 50 thousands and the block 80 thousands i also put yellar roller rockers from classic inlines.

Econoline

Post #367 by Econoline » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:55 pm

iirc the top mark is 14 Mike. Congrats on getting her on the road!

:thumbup:
It ain't gonna fix itself

lavron

Post #368 by lavron » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Econoline wrote:iirc the top mark is 14 Mike. Congrats on getting her on the road!

Not quite on the road yet but getting closer, I drove down to the highway today again but not enough courage to rip her up the road yet :oops:

bubba22349 wrote:Seems like lots of people have trouble with getting the rockers set to tight because it's difficult not over tightening the rocker adjusters while trying to feel for that very slight push Rod drag that's the zero lash point for a Hydrolic lifter.

I am one of those people :oops: :roll: :lol: I adjusted them this morning while running, I really had to screw the adjusters out a long way to get them to start to tap, I then retightened until the tap stopped, did all of them that way and then shut the engine off and added a full turn to all of them.

I really appreciate the advice and help on this.

I made a follow-up video with how it is running today after all the adjustments.

250 Idle After Valve Re-adjustment

Now to get rid of that terrible rubbing in the exhaust :evil:

See Ya,
Mike

Soldmy66

Post #369 by Soldmy66 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Mike,

You continue to make great progress. I look forward to your updates.

Beau

pmuller9

Post #370 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 pm

rather than clearancing the bell housing could you make a bracket that bolts to one or two of the bellhousing bolts and attaches to the exhaust pipe.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #371 by bubba22349 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 pm

:beer: Comgrats Mike great job getting the rocker arm lash set, that's really a good smooth idle now and it's sure hitting on all six cylinders and It's so much quieter now! Little by little it's coming right along, yes I can hear now how the exhaust is rubbing :bang: and one of the next things to fix. Once that's taken care of it's going to be hard to tell its even running at idle RPM's. :thumbup: :nod:

chad

My Budget 250 build

Post #372 by chad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:11 pm

pmuller9 wrote:rather than clearancing the bell housing could you make a bracket that bolts to one or two of the bellhousing bolts and attaches to the exhaust pipe.

sae as my suggestion on his vid:
"...either attach it or space them - U got 1/2'n 1/2 right now..."
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), '69 250ci, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com

lavron

Post #373 by lavron » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:30 am

Soldmy66 wrote:Mike,

You continue to make great progress. I look forward to your updates.

Beau

Thanks Beau, I may get her done yet :P

bubba22349 wrote:Comgrats Mike great job getting the rocker arm lash set, that's really a good smooth idle now and it's sure hitting on all six cylinders and It's so much quieter now! Little by little it's coming right along, yes I can hear now how the exhaust is rubbing and one of the next things to fix. Once that's taken care of it's going to be hard to tell its even running at idle RPM's

Thanks, Bubba again for the advice on setting the valves running, I watched a lot of videos but nobody was adjusting ones like these, it turned out not too hard or messy, I kept the idle low and my wife was tossing out some old bedsheets so I covered all the edges with rolled-up sheets and pillowcases, but ended up only spitting a few drops out when I blipped the throttle once, I guess my advice to anyone doing it is; "Keep both hands on the ratchet at all times!" :P

chad wrote:sae as my suggestion on his vid:

Yes, Chad that makes at least three people that have recommended bolting them to the bell housing, one was before I installed the pipes because he had a concern with the spacers sticking out there so far under the headers that a little additional support might be warranted, I might even be able to incorporate a heat shield into all of it for the starter.

See Ya,
Mike

chad

Post #374 by chad » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:35 am

lavron wrote:
chad wrote:sae as my suggestion on his vid:

Yes, Chad that makes at least three people that have recommended bolting them to the bell housing, one was before I installed the pipes because he had a concern with the spacers sticking out there so far under the headers that a little additional support might be warranted, I might even be able to incorporate a heat shield into all of it for the starter.

See Ya,
Mike

On choices is it 'the more the merrier'? or when they all R unfortunate its just a hassle? Anyway
good luck, it's comin along fine, jealous here, thank for offering the shotgun seat, been a great ride ~
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), '69 250ci, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com

Return to “144-250 "Small Block" Six Performance”