Building a 200 First build

I've run it to a bit of a road block. The local machine shop I go to has closed up. The owner has retired. Very short notice and very recently.
Does anybody know of a decent machine shop in northern Virginia. Woodbridge area.

We have a forum 4 that. Go 2 it & look up your area 2 C if some 1 has been recommended locally…

Thanks. I found another local guy. He normally does high HP engines. Highly recommended by a local performance shop we frequent.

I think that's a populous area. If U have a good experience post it on our forum (did U find it?) for others to use…

[image]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah208/lorddragonlitch/KIMG0124_zps2zjegknz.jpg[/image]
I hope this works. Never messed with photo bucket before.
Yes I found the shop forum.

Is that a '69 200 or 250? I think that head has runners w/a lot of low end grunt. (See that final "M" in the casting string, check the log volumn, combust. chamber shape). They claim it's a rare head. I just retrieved mine from the scraper some 1 threw it to.
8-0
Depending on the application/need that may B better than the post '77 heads. What is your end goal/application/use?
I would not go the expense of the "balance rotating assembly" U mention unless revin over 5,000 RPM, but ask a more experienced builder.
Also hardened exhaust seats unless stayin reved (like on the track or like me in the woods haulin saw logs). Again ck in w/those in the know…

It's a 200 with a c9. According to the hand book it's like a one year only. It's got the 1.75 carb bore.

My final goal is just a fun daily.61 chero T5 8.8. The most extreme it will see is the occasional 1/8 mile.
I plan on having the later 1.75 intake valve installed.hand book recommended.
What should I do about the exhaust. Leave the 1.38 or switch to the 144 intake.

Dragonlich1961":3oqm6m7w said:
It's a 200 with a c9. According to the hand book it's like a one year only. It's got the 1.75 carb bore.

My final goal is just a fun daily.61 chero T5 8.8. The most extreme it will see is the occasional 1/8 mile.
I plan on having the later 1.75 intake valve installed.hand book recommended.
What should I do about the exhaust. Leave the 1.38 or switch to the 144 intake.

Thats an M-Code head... I have one just like it, from a '69...

Dragonlich1961":288dk359 said:
What is special about the m- code head?. Just larger intake runners?

Just that it is a med/large log head, made before such a thing really existed. It also has 62cc chambers. It is a lot better then most of the 60s heads. You have to go to the late 70s to get better.

Well I'll be damned. Sweet. Sounds like I've got the third best possible head then. 1 CI's alum. 2 78 "Fairmont" head. Then this oddball thing.

Thanks.
Chris

RichCreations":9082ds6w said:
Dragonlich1961":9082ds6w said:
…Larger intake runners and…

Just that it is a med/large log head, made before such a thing really existed. It also has 62cc chambers. It is a lot better then most of the 60s heads. You have to go to the late 70s to get better.

plus is really nice'n flat = very good results 4 the mill/build-up wrk in direct mounting carbs. Back then it seemed so esoteric when the guys took a newer model car (it had only been in production 4 yrs by then) and started machining the intake. Local mechanic had a blue 2+2 Fastback & did this. Was blowin off the other muscle cars. No 1 said a 6 could do this.

Go some results back from my machinist.
Good and bad news.
Blocks good .030 over to true cylinder. Crank being checked now.
Bad news. It appears my c9-m head is cracked in one of the exhaust ports.

Does anyone by chance know of a place to source another head. I have a c5 sitting on my old engine. I know this is a severe peromace loss, so it is a last result only till I find a better one.
I hate Murphy!

Thank Chris

"…head is cracked…"
some fix em, not expensive.

i've never heard of a head being repaired but i figured it could be possibile. (how would one even repair cracked head.)

im not sure if this machinist is capable of reparing it, nor garentee the repair.

Still looking at my options. so any sugestions will be helpful. i'm lost.

Thanks
Chris

Nah, U got ur stuff together…

they just heat that sucker up & weld it while hot (forge weld).
Google up ur local shop, ask machinest, speed shop, etc…

Shame to loose that "M" head (C9DE-6090-M , right?). Been
told they're rare - special hi volumn runners, low in number even
when made.

Dragonlich1961":xkgvmama said:
i've never heard of a head being repaired but i figured it could be possibile. (how would one even repair cracked head.)

im not sure if this machinist is capable of reparing it, nor garentee the repair.

Still looking at my options. so any sugestions will be helpful. i'm lost.

Thanks
Chris

Fixing (welding) iron heads has mixed results, it may work, or it may crack again right away (or while welding). Most shops won't even try anymore. If you can find a good head, that would be a lot better...

These heads (iron small six in general) are thin castings, and are known to crack... Use this as a reason to find a 78+ head, they are not un-obtainable.

the "lrg log" heads (RC just mentioned) R about $150 on car-parts.com.
Shipping can B the same $.
I 4get where U R located but we have no junk yards round here (w/more than 9 yr old parts).
I've seen them for $50 there (AZ, TX, etc).

I'm in Cleveland Ohio. My folks are in woodbridge VA.
The Columbus add might work. Means I have a third block to stash. I'll look into it since I just need a head. Perhaps we could work out a deal if you don't need the head!
Couple chain stores list a 77-79 Fairmont head for a 200.
Reman'ed 300+115 core. Considering what head i pick up most likely needs rebuilt it's not a bad choice.

Back