Building a 200 First build

Ahhhh...good old Cleveland. The armpit of the midwest! I actually grew up in the Lima, OH area where these engines were built. Spent 6 lovely years in Athens attending OU. Wish I could remember it...

Just as a potential donor. I really don't have way to get it to IA so have at man. It's one of those times when th right thing popped up at the wrong time/place. My wife would throttle me if I brought home another engine anyway. :LOL:

Seriously, go get it. Odds are it'll end up as scrap otherwise. Folks just don't keep these things around long.

I just happen to have the craigslist app on my phone setup for places nearby or where I have family. Periodically i go through and search for stuff I don't really need yet. Small stuff back home I can send my Dad after, but he's pushing 70 and doesn't need to be hoarding all this stuff.

I just need the head and have no real way of getting a whole engine either. So I'm stuck. Now if you pick it up I'll pay you for the head if you are willing to part with it.

I hear you about hoarding, my folks have more cars than you can count on your hands and several spare engines or trans for said cars. Plus hoods fenders doors, you know insurance plans. Cause as soon as you get rid of them you'll need them.

Dragonlich1961":3e3s7dwy said:
Well I'll be damned. Sweet. Sounds like I've got the third best possible head then. 1 CI's alum. 2 78 "Fairmont" head. Then this oddball thing.

Thanks.
Chris

I've heard the earlier iron is better and Ford iron is better in general. Something with the nickle content iirc. Could be bs but that's what my machinist thinks and he's an old school import guy, straight from bohemia :unsure: C9 is guld :beer:

Dragonlich1961":375xjlee said:
Go some results back from my machinist.
Good and bad news.
Blocks good .030 over to true cylinder. Crank being checked now.
Bad news. It appears my c9-m head is cracked in one of the exhaust ports.

Does anyone by chance know of a place to source another head. I have a c5 sitting on my old engine. I know this is a severe peromace loss, so it is a last result only till I find a better one.
I hate Murphy!

Thank Chris

We used to fix some cracks by pinning them (a cold type repair) you drill tap the crack at each end and thread pins in them overlapping them some accross the crack. It worked fairly good for some areas such as the combustion chamber or heads deck, the places you had good access too. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":u9x91zj6 said:
Dragonlich1961":u9x91zj6 said:
Good and bad news.

Is it between 3 & 4? lol f^kg crack :banghead: :beer:

Econoline":2eaugmao said:
bubba22349":2eaugmao said:
Dragonlich1961":2eaugmao said:
Good and bad news.

Is it between 3 & 4? lol f^kg crack :banghead:
it is always between 3-4 on these heads...

patience Seth…
got a few more kayakers around Anacortes these days?

still looking for a head, all sources other than here have lead to dead ends.
I know the big head change happend in 77, What other years are still good. ie, will an 80's head work. the handbook seams to say yes on this subject with the exception of a one year only 1980 mustang head. Also is there a perfomance issue with using a 250 head on a 200.

Thanks Chris

The 250 and 200 heads are one and the same. There is also an oddball Maverick 170 head from the 70's that has the larger intake but 52cc (?) chambers as opposed to the 62cc. All are interchangeable.

Rockauto has them listed 1 in stock, C9 at $334 including the core fee, not including shipping

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3755013&cc=1132456&jsn=566

Amazon has them for $411-$317 depending on the one you get with free shipping if you have prime maybe shipping anyway. Not sure how the stock is, says 1 to 2 weeks wait. That second link for $325 is the one you are looking for I think.

http://www.amazon.com/PROFessional-...refinements=p_85:2470955011,p_6:ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/PROFessional-...ord+250+cylinder+head+PROFessional+Powertrain

http://www.amazon.com/PROFessional-...ord+200+cylinder+head+PROFessional+Powertrain

It's the same rebuilder, they say 3 angle valve jobs, resurface exhaust flange and mating surface etc.

# 2F33 - 69-74 Head
# 2F04 - 75-79 Head
# 2F66 - 80-83 Head

RockAuto lists the 2F04 and the 2F66 as out of stock, 1 2F33 in stock, obviously smaller intake valve in that head though, but large log.

It's $352 with the core fee. But being local it would be easy to get that back if they can get you one. They don't list that one on Rockauto or Amazon. Looks like for whatever reason that 2F31 is more specific to just D7 castings. Instead of D5-D7. Looks like they have all the other part #'s listed above as well.

Back