Downside (or Upside) of 1-wire versus 3-wire Alternator???

just gota 3G ('90s? '00s?) w/the replaceable VR on back. Gota auto ele friend locally (thank ye gods) who will help me. Would like to "Fin" learn this (auto ele) but have lill hope. He will help me thru it. I need to dwn load what U provide'n study it "78". Thnx for the post-up. I'm in the 5th row above, but like the bennies of the 3G. Back feed to the keyed ign switch (burn it out) by pass (may have on-bd welder @ some point) etc means I may need to contract out. Sorry to step on ur thread "James". (BTW - I DO see the one wire at 'auto prts stores').

Last edited:
what do these several in-the-know think of some mechanism for double belts/2 shive pully? I think spinning all that meat might squek out my 1shive'n v-belt? Lookin? I C some (I gota 3 shive HB) extra just for this aid~

U OK w/this James? Get what U need yet? (May B he's gone?)

New 12SI 78 amp ACDelco Gold 335-1094 Alternator
$73.44 free shipping on Amazon.
(Pack of 50 Pieces) Chanzon 1N5408 Rectifier Diode 3A 1000V DO-201AD (DO-27) Axial 5408 IN5408 3 Amp 1000 Volt Electronic Silicon Diodes $6.63 on Amazon
I put a diode in the light circuit to prevent feedback to my HEI relay. Enlarged the mount hole to 7/16" then used a 1" spacer to fit the 200 alt. mount. I connected the sense wire to the Bat. terminal on the alternator. The original alt-fan belt worked fine.

Last edited:
interesting
is this 78 or 94 amp a 'small case'?
(imagine not as sz seems to increase w/amp [or is it volt?] rating. I C the 1shive pulley but no
typical ext. VR
as in on back of my page 1 example above (for chebby then?). I like the 180* mount tabs. No
'clock' the housing, use current (oem?) bracketry. Right price. Light enuff 4 no serpintine/extra shive.

Heard this 'mount a diode' idea but have only seen them ina internal housing ina alternator. What do they look like asa free standing component (same? a 'push pin' or thumb tack configuration)? An 'in' and 'out' tabs for ele connection?

'...light circuit...'
Fella said to put it btwn the alt'n ign switch? (so as to not back feed/burn out 'antique' switch) /or/ and sompin...
(pardon my ignorance)

Thnx again~

This is an a-typical example. smaller than your glass fuses. you can terminate how you need per location dictates. soldering affirms the connection and wrks best when soldered.

1643592201721.png1643592538668.png

I like ford6 school.
Vow to not skip any classes. I'll need alot more 'hand holding' w/this
one tho.

Extra credit fora pic: need for heat precipitation (like my DSII box), etc
(but even the schematic looks like the 'push pin' deffiniton I left of diode)

It takes team teachin to push me to nxt grade (Shade Tree Mechanic I)
Thnx guys

BTW: I'm gunna 'pull politics" here & request no Amazon purchases. Well i guess its not political speech (banned here) but request no Amazon purchases (I hate 1%, Jeff Bezos). If able to find elsewhere I think we all do alot better...IMHO

Last edited:
interesting
is this 78 or 94 amp a 'small case'?
(imagine not as sz seems to increase w/amp [or is it volt?] rating. I C the 1shive pulley but no
typical ext. VR
as in on back of my page 1 example above (for chebby then?). I like the 180* mount tabs. No
'clock' the housing, use current (oem?) bracketry. Right price. Light enuff 4 no serpintine/extra shive.

Heard this 'mount a diode' idea but have only seen them ina internal housing ina alternator. What do they look like asa free standing component (same? a 'push pin' or thumb tack configuration)? An 'in' and 'out' tabs for ele connection?

'...light circuit...'
Fella said to put it btwn the alt'n ign switch? (so as to not back feed/burn out 'antique' switch) /or/ and sompin...
(pardon my ignorance)

Thnx again~
I put the diode in the generator light circuit wire. You know the little red light that comes on when the key is turned on. This wire is the only switched wire going to my 12SI alternator. Power goes thru the bulb and the diode. The diode stops the engine when the key is turned off. It stops power from flowing back thru the wire and bulb and keeping my HEI relay engaged with the key off.

Looks kinda likea transistor in "67's" post # 25. Where to get one? Any certain "power" rating or other specs (like "ona heat sink")? I gota DSII. Gunna have trouble findin that dash wire. PO put most in plastic ele tape.

I re-wired a bud's '56 "Thunderbird' (precursor to the Bonneville) that hada 'rectifier'. Again done 'mechanically' (no understanding just copy) and put that component out under the forks to dissipative heat. It hada 'run', 'start' & emergency (dead battery) circuit ona a magneto powered system. Ya gotta know sompin about what ur doin, but not much. I can easily get myself in trouble - lots.

Last edited:
"...Solder the diode and cover it with heat shrink..."
Thnx. Solder the 2 connections (& the shrinkable insulation) AND usea insluation blanket like I put on the pmgr starter near the headers?

Mmmm... nothing comes up on my image of post 29 but a top R corner of...??? "silver paper"?
Can I email U? (C e-mail in singature below if "the reverse"). Late this wk I M A Y get
to it if I can find a "diaode'. This really sounds the best method but I doubt the guy
"supervising" even has this kinda lectronices. I'm havin fun forging "new territory".
Coordinating w/removed solinoid will B da tits (w/all honor to the ladies)~
I would like it 'in there' for "connections" but found some fancy posts
for my side mount only bat-tree and might havea :

(but NEVER from Amizone) in there too~
Thnx for da hand holdin

Plenty of diodes on ebay. shipping is usually the expensive part. If you know anyone that puts in MSD boxes, there is a diode included for installation that hardly ever gets used. If you want to PM me your address I'll mail one out to you.

they DO look like a transistor. Anyway~

I C the ratings now (peak, forward flow, etc). "...1n5408, Diode 3A, 1000v, DO-27 (DO-201AD), axial 5408..."

I don't need more'n one so might take U up on ur offer '67'. The msd has correct rating for this application ?

How do I hold it still when done soldering into the line? The mega fuse I'm putting in hasa holder w/fender screw. Just tape a piece of that 'heat shield cloth' like I'll put on my pmgr starter - around the diode '78' ?

Funny, I have not seen a "rectifier" in 40 yrs (that ol Triumph cycle w/magneto power) & it was used to throw off heat (from ele power). And this isa 'rectifier diode'...

Couldn't do it w/o U guys & still am not entirely clear (nature of learnin) but WILL get bay as clean of wires as possible (not add them). Yeah, right!

they DO look like a transistor. Anyway~

I C the ratings now (peak, forward flow, etc). "...1n5408, Diode 3A, 1000v, DO-27 (DO-201AD), axial 5408..."

I don't need more'n one so might take U up on ur offer '67'. The msd has correct rating for this application ?

How do I hold it still when done soldering into the line? The mega fuse I'm putting in hasa holder w/fender screw. Just tape a piece of that 'heat shield cloth' like I'll put on my pmgr starter - around the diode '78' ?

Funny, I have not seen a "rectifier" in 40 yrs (that ol Triumph cycle w/magneto power) & it was used to throw off heat (from ele power). And this isa 'rectifier diode'...

Couldn't do it w/o U guys & still am not entirely clear (nature of learnin) but WILL get bay as clean of wires as possible (not add them). Yeah, right!
I don't think you will be able to complete the installation.

how cuz?

this one looks a bit more usuable 2 some 1 like me:

still needa 'heat shield' around it?

Last edited:

does not go into "the ratings" here tho...
I hate Amisone...

I did a swap a few years back and posted.
Here's the thread if it's of any help:
Sorry the photo links seem to be dead...

no time for '4eyed' or 'fordfuleinj' right now but thanks for repost Jack, its confirmed elsewhere, convenient of U 2 do so here'n now. Thnx.

"...he green one from the ignition switch (alt warning light actually) which goes to the alternator, and a yellow one, which I hooked up to the battery for key-on engine off power...."
funny, I think the bronk's is gunna B lght green w/red stripe.

Learnin more than I ever wanted on auto electrics. Post #9 (ur link) will take daze to get down. I may put a diode in there. Time to head to garage'n C if the mail carrier threw a part in the bushes I need. Last wk welded extension onto alt bracket ('upper adj arm').

Soldering is more of a connection guarantee. You do have to be careful not to overheat the little sucker or it's useless. You can use crimp style barrel connector, not to be confused with a butt connector; and then use some good double wall heat shrink to seal it up nice

tomorrow the diode 2 pac arrives.
"...not to overheat the little sucker or it's useless..."
OK, that must B Y "78" sez "I'll fail."

I will wait till the Painless arrives. It has the pre-made connectors U indicate.

Thank U both~

Back