Downside (or Upside) of 1-wire versus 3-wire Alternator???

I ordered this 6A diode to install, 2 bare ones come in after but I can't do as said since I'm not sure what it all means (ie methodology of instal). 'S OK tho as I can't find the lght green wire w/red stripe back to gauge. Starter/Alt partially wired w/different sz 'lugs' (excuse to buy a new tool - Lincoln Ele anvil), the 175 mega fuse, 2 pig tails on back of alt. Soon onto the starter wire (I think it'll B a 10 AWG back up, 5 major grounds, & use of fuel line clamps or other to hank that 1AWG starter wire to chassy (path back up to Battery). The fun never ends~

You can check the diode with a test light. If it doesn't light up It's connected backwards, Connect one end of the diode to + . Connect the test light to ground . Touch the test light probe to the diode. Look for the alt light wire by your old external regulator.

that's very helpful. I will B able to use a 'test lght' now. The 'cluster' ona bronk hasa gauge that needs switched out to read now. Wanna protect the idiot lght too so will try that way (test light)...may B even a proper test gauge on the shelf here to see alt power level.

"...by your old external regulator...."
Lota 'em there. I think I know which it is. I think the alt schematics (ona previous post of mine?) will tell idiot lght'n gauge (seperate wires?)..

Everything 'diode' I've learned from U guys (& the initial idea on CB site). Some 1 put 1 in the tractor here cuz every 1 would shut down w/key. BIG huge battery was all ways dead in am. Turns out they never turned the key far enuff. Diode::solved. How, don't ask me. Only other one I ever knew abt.

Test the wire on the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator. It should be hot with the key on. The 'I" terminal should be the one on the left.Voltage regulator 1970 Ford.JPG

more goodies! Thnx,
Better start bringin this lap top to work. Headed over there right now~
hope the Painless diode is there, not sure boss will allow wrk on bronk taday, we'll C what's in the shop~
Need ta make money, not play?

Back