I wonder how he controlled the timing?

CoupeBoy

2K+
VIP
monty2005061174392.jpg

happy monday everybody :LOL:
-ron

When working in an auto machine shop, mech from a local lawn mower shop comes in with a B&S block and piston. Wants me to bore and hone to match. Now this is one of those smart people who thinks everybody else is dumb, stupid and ignorant and all shop but his are dishonest.
Piston looked big for bore but before I could mic he grabs the piston box and wrote on it, "THIS PISTON+.0025", said that what he wanted, do it.

I did it, ;) 8 hp block and 12hp piston +0.020. Basic block casting were the same. IIRC had to bore and hone +0.1275.
He picks up, then later comes back totally freaked out, foaming at the mouth. Then I showed him the box.
Then he want us to open the small end of the 8 hp rod to fit the 12 hp piston pin. No way, not enough material and would have a bad balance problem. And he would have blamed us if the rod snapped.

He left crying that he would have to build it as a 12hp engine for his customer's mower.

Would have loved to have seen the owner's face the first time he let out the clutch. 50% hp increase from a "simple rebuild" :shock:

I don't know about turbocharging a lawnmower, but there certainly are people who modify and race them. There are lawnmower racing clubs all over the US. Some of the open class mowers will do 60mph.

042405-4.jpg

i have seen one with an honest to god blower, that looked like it was built from a turbo. only it was a pullin' lawn mower. that was last year though, there annual pull is this weekend though, too bad the guy couldn't drive it, drove it like it was a drag race not a pull.

i put a 12hp carb onto a 7 hp, rejetted and all, no muffler (just a pipe), a tad more compression and readjusted the govoner a "tad." i also had sanded down a cam, but couldn't find lifters to fit it :eek: i called the morphedite mower i put it into the rat (it had a "Rat" emblem above the grill) it would really yank the tires. I also had to add a tranny (you get the right type and they are just like a proshifted tranny inside) and a beefier chain, that i still busted a couple of times. unfortunetally it developed an oil leak and went bang one day. oops.

Back