Mechanical Fan to Electrical Fan

MPGmustang":vlnd74ye said:
oh and Mav, thanks for that tip, 1/2 turn on the idle mixture helped with temp, it doesn't spike as much anymore.

MPGmustang

I'm glad you got some improvement. This shows you were running lean. Try to get an A/F meter on your car, even a dyno run would help. I'll bet your still running lean and some new jets would help. If you can't get an A/F measurment made try reading the spark plugs.

MPGmustang":vlnd74ye said:
flagstaff to Chandler - 28.99mpg (I didn't believe it either, so I pumped it again and spilt with only .01g pumped in )

granted flag to chandler is all down hill, my last record shows 24.4mpg on that very road with my mech fan.

I spent 3 years in Sierra Vista in the mid Eights driving my 69.5 mav with a 170 and no Air Conditioning. What a hot time, but the car never over heated. Driving back to California from Phonix to Blyth I got almost 39 MPG at 55. The one and only time I got that, most of the time got in the high 20's. Must have been down hill.

These day I use a 10" electrick fan trigger by a thermostatic switch in the lower radiator hose. I only put that in because my son was driving the car. Most of the time in recent years a drive with no fan at all. The only time the car over heated was when the thermostat stuck closed. I do believe that the early mavericks with the 170 were almost imposible to over heat. That has certainly been my experience.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

thanks for this thread MPG
as my restoration progresses it seems that my mechanical fan blades are bumping into my alternator. will go electrical as well with fingers crossed.

air conditioning is a must for me- i'm based in manila, and the heat here can be a killer. fingers crossed that i figure this one out, without over heating.

so for the people who've gone the electrical route and run an AC, did the shroud help things? any other tips we should all know about? size of fans? etc?

hey guy's looky here... eye candy :) :mrgreen:

http://mattsonscustomradiator.com/side-winder.html
it's a 1 and 5/8 inch thick fan that can move +2400cfm

and it has the 5inch motor offset to the side to help with clearance issues, Now, if only it wasn't $390.00 (had to call...) :banghead:

question, has anyone else actually seen more of these? thanks

Edit: I honestly think that if it comes down to it, I'll just convert to a 20x24 inch rad with dual 12 inch fans with custom shroud for <$350... DIY of course...

It was beautiful out tonight so I took the Mustang on a long ride down to the intercoastal. Mainly, this was a longer cruise to test the new fan. After working out a minor bug, everything worked great! The fan ran for about a minute after a hot startup, stopped to eat dinner, and cooled the car very quickly.

MPG, the new fan is quiet most of the time cause its not running, but when it does it just sort of hums.

Here's a pic of the car that I took today. Looking a little different these days, after some of the work I have done.
IMG_20110414_183845-1.jpg

Buc what wheels do you have on the car? They look different than the ones in your sig. Btw it is very erie (sp) looking at your car i feel like I am looking in the garage here lol. Looks good!

Thanks! They are American racing steelies with a satin black center and chromed rims. Once the car is five lug, I am going to replace them with American Racing torque thrust wheels in either dark gray or black, going for a bullitt look on my coupe.

Also had my first "nice car, 289 right on" comment. This person just knew it was a V-8, I was almost sorry to disappoint him. Though he wound up thinking the six mods were cool.

MPGmustang

Have you had a chance to check your AF.

If your are running to lean you will not only be running hotter then normal but you will be down on horsepower.

sadly I have not yet, If anything I might be running rich... but have not checked plugs :banghead: I think I can do that right after work, it's just sitting as I'm waiting for my AC/ALT braket to be modified. I'll get back to you tonight...

Back