Quest for 14 second ets

Thanks for all the tips guys...I really appreciate them! I don't want to throw too many changes at it all at once this way I will know what works and how much it helps. I will keep all of these suggestions in my back pocket! :thanks:

[/quote]
how would sub frame connectors help ( other than stiffening the suspension ).[/quote]
Makes the car react faster to mashing the gas pedal by taking out all the wasted motion of the chassis flexing.

Gene,

When they milled off your choke horn do they have to do anything else to your carb to recalibrate it or just mill it and ship it back to you?

When I pull the airfilter on mine, even thought the carb is sealed to the scoop I run an aircleaner baseplate and a K&N snubstack on mine.

I'd pull your seats out. :D I lost almost 85 lbs by removing my back seat and passenger seat. If your going all out ,take a 1/2 hour and gut the interior. I have and done it more than once on mine. And its currently gutted down to the steel! ;) :LOL:

I run a Mr Gasket cool can on mine. IMO its important since the carb hangs out over the header/exhaust manifold.

On mine open headers usually slows it down 2 or 3 tenths so I wouldnt try that if I was you.

Later,

Doug

Mustang_Geezer":csfdlh74 said:
Gene,

When they milled off your choke horn do they have to do anything else to your carb to recalibrate it or just mill it and ship it back to you?

When I pull the airfilter on mine, even thought the carb is sealed to the scoop I run an aircleaner baseplate and a K&N snubstack on mine.

I'd pull your seats out. :D I lost almost 85 lbs by removing my back seat and passenger seat. If your going all out ,take a 1/2 hour and gut the interior. I have and done it more than once on mine. And its currently gutted down to the steel! ;) :LOL:

I run a Mr Gasket cool can on mine. IMO its important since the carb hangs out over the header/exhaust manifold.

On mine open headers usually slows it down 2 or 3 tenths so I wouldnt try that if I was you.

Later,

Doug
Doug...they just milled off the choke horn and sent it back. I have a bench seat up front so all I could remove would be the rear bench. Any Idea how much the rear seat and back would weigh? I don't plan on running open headers.

Mustang_Geezer":19d627zr said:
Gene

Later,

Doug
Doug or Gene if you added a 2 1/2" a collector for a total of 16"-18" after the primaries have you tried that combination???
With open exhaust it probably will require a jetting change.
Very sensitive area, sometimes it works sometimes it does'nt.

Back seat is typically 40-50lbs, but that's over the rear so can affect traction too.

I've yet to run a small Ford six with open headers, but I will say that anything I've ever run, 4,6,8 cylinders, was faster w/open headers than closed. That is, unless it's way too lean, which is a hint in itself. I guess if the tubes and collectors were way too short it could be slower, Ive just never seen it.

Doug: when you run open headers and et is slower .2 or .3, what happens to the mph? ie is all the loss down low, maybe you could post 60ft 330ft 1/8+mph and 1/4+mph? And describe your headers/collectors?

That said, a lot of tracks, including ours in CA, you gotta run muffs of some type anyway so its a moot point. Sounds like plenty of good ideas on the table already though, 14s with good weather should happen! :beer:

Gene,
I'm going with the Richmond Over Drive, it's a 5 speed plus Overdrive.
You'll be in the mid to low 14's with a trans change!
If you do this before I do, then I'll know if it's a good swap. So, what do you say?
How about an Aluminum drive shaft? It will make a difference.
Ken

Ken...I have no plans to make a trans change. I'm happy with my C-4. I've heard good and bad things about aluminum drive shafts so not sure about that. ;)

tri-power 250":z8jow9zc said:
Gene,
I'm going with the Richmond Over Drive, it's a 5 speed plus Overdrive.
You'll be in the mid to low 14's with a trans change!
If you do this before I do, then I'll know if it's a good swap. So, what do you say?
How about an Aluminum drive shaft? It will make a difference.
Ken
Ken you are probably right, but i would go with a carbon fibre shaft.
Remember Gene does a lot of bracket racing & i'm sure he will get to the 14's with the C4.
The key to use the C4 is consistant times & Gene is super consistant.
Going to a stick shift it takes a darn good driver to be even close to Gene's times. Bill

Can't believe no one has suggested you add a few stickers to the car. A "Holley equipped" sticker will be worth about 35 horsepower, and an "STP" sticker will get ya another 60 but since no one has used "STP" since the 60's that will be gross HP and will not account for parasitic losses through belt driven accessories. Even so, those two alone should put you deep into the 14's.

Glad to help. 8)

You try advancing or retarding the timing a few degrees? See if you gain or lose either way.

First Fox":71vb9k8r said:
Can't believe no one has suggested you add a few stickers to the car. A "Holley equipped" sticker will be worth about 35 horsepower, and an "STP" sticker will get ya another 60 but since no one has used "STP" since the 60's that will be gross HP and will not account for parasitic losses through belt driven accessories. Even so, those two alone should put you deep into the 14's.

Glad to help. 8)

You try advancing or retarding the timing a few degrees? See if you gain or lose either way.
:rolflmao: :rolflmao: Good point on the stickers.... :LOL: Oh, yes...I've been up and down the spectrum with timing.

I have no doubts with Gene's driving.
I was just making a suggestion. No problem.
The drive shaft is something that I have read about, and my Lightning has, stock.
I have had no problems with it.
Gene's looking for suggestions and I offered a couple, no problem.
Ken

So the last time I went to the track the temps were in the mid 80's...this weekend will be mid 60's. Hopefully I can put down some improved numbers Saturday! ;)

:unsure: 20 degrees cooler denser air that's going to be very good conditions worth a few more HP, (y) Good luck

Alright, I am sure you are at the track as I write this waving your hand out the window like a paddle, trying to squeak another 100th out of it, but I for one am very curious how you did today.

Sorry to be a stalker, but I have been rooting for you. 8)

Hopefully you update tonight so I can sleep.

First Fox":3f77sonf said:
Hopefully you update tonight so I can sleep.
First Fox...you are funny! I did go racing today but unfortunately I did not reach the 14's. :cry: There is some good news though...my best et today was a 15.08 and my best mph was 89.20!! So close I could taste it! The 15.08 et was during the second round of eliminations where I lost by double breakout and I was ON THE BRAKES going thru the traps!! Who knows for sure what the et really would have been! By this time it had been a long day so I just packed up and went home. Here were my two best runs during time trials:

60ft 2.15
330ft 6.23
1/8 et 9.62
1/8 mph 72.69
1000ft 12.49
1000ft mph 82.09
1/4 mile et 15.0935
1/4 mile mph 89.20

60ft 2.11
330ft 6.19
1/8 et 9.58
1/8 mph 72.14
1000ft 12.47
1000ft mph 81.17
1/4 mile et 15.0918
1/4 mile mph 89.00

Here is a pic of me in the burnout box.

burnout-1.jpg

Mustang_Geezer":39auqe3q said:
So what all changes did you do? Did your cold air intake work then?
The differences between today and last time out were:
1) milled off choke horn
2) went from .25 acc pump squirter to .28
3) adjust intake valves .02 looser than exhaust
4) adjusted front drum brakes as they were dragging too much
5) went from 40lbs air in front tires to 45lbs

The cold air intake was a huge bust!! :banghead: When I tried it the engine was choked for air and it sputtered down the track. I guess the 3 inch tubing and low profile carb hat can't flow enough air? That was a bummer cuz that could have put me in the 14's.

Back