All Small Six Running Hot

This relates to all small sixes

S2261

I'm running a 200 with a 2 speed auto. It always runs a little hot because I have the stock radiator. The car is a1961 Comet. If I was to bypass the radiator and use an external oil cooler would that be adequate to cool the transmission? My thought is if I remove that heat source(transmission oil heat), will that help it run cooler? Thanks

X2 Yes it would work very good to run the Aux. Trans Cooler in series with the stock Radiator's Cooler. A stock Size Radiator if its in good condition, clean inside, having good flow should be plenty of Cooling in your area. What are the signs that make you think its running Hot has it been boiling over and puking out Coolant on the ground? Do you have and use a Manual Temp Gauge or an IR temp Gun. What T degree Stat and Pressure Cap are you using, are the blocks Cooling Passages also Clean? Also do you have a Radiator Shroud and a Coolant recovery Tank?

Check your plugs, running lean will up your temps. Ran a 170 lean for a couple years, hated stop/go traffic, eventually warped the head, and toasted a couple exhaust manifolds. Air cooled 2 speed auto, no lines to the radiator.

You want the trans oil to go to the radiator for faster trans oil warm up when it is cold and then it cools the oil after getting to temp. An addon cooler is a good idea and install it in series before the rad cooler. That way it will still warm the oil when cold.
That said I do not think that it will make the engine run any cooler, but the trans will like it.

Back