250 build

A 2.5 (not 2.3) HSC piston from a late 1980's Taraus has a 1.559 compression height vs. the 255 V8's 1.582. They work well in 250's and I have built several engines with them. If you want to step up to forged piston RaceTec pistons in SoCal will make you a set to your specifications for about $400. They are first rate pistons, USA made forgings and machining.

Pmuller- I noticed that on the card. I feel a little like a tard for not seeing that lol

I can't wait to get to building the engine. I spent yesterday installing the headliner and am lost on getting this tiny wrinkle that is down the middle out, but I think I may leave it be. I have heard that they shrink when the car sits outside on a hot day. Anyways lol

I will keep y'all up to date on the engine when I get back from Louisiana.

Xctasy- I did that as well comparing cams that come in the ford racing 302s and 351s

Haven't been on here in a bit, but still working on the car.
Have a few questions for you guys:
What size radiator do you guys thing would be good for my build?
What's y'all opinion an elictric fan?

Have a dead line of having the car completely done by the mid of July and will post pics as soon as I get a chance to sit down and do it.

So I have gotten everything figured out and done on the car other than the assembly of the engine.

As of now I have all parts on order or on hand. Pistons should be in next week and I should be getting the crank back from the balancing.

The head has been cleaned up and had the chambers cleaned up. They were off by 6cc and came out to 54cc once cleaned up. One of the valve guides were drilled off center so we had to get a new guid for that one valve. The intake has came out to not fit properly to the ports, so the machinest is working on matching them up right now.

Called up RAU Monday and received my 1.6 rockers today. Talk about fast delivery!
They look very nice and will get my lift to .512 using the CS 280 110LS cam. Based on the AL head flow numbers, this is where it starts to fall off on CFM flow.

Quick question for you guys. What length Push rods have you guys been using with the 1.6 adjustable rockers? I had a talk with them at RAU and heard that people have been sending the Push rods back to get shortened. I measured my old ball/ball ones and they are 9 5/16".

Once everything is assembled we are expecting 10.3:1 SCR and 7.9 DCR. This lets me use 91octane here in Cali till I get back home to the 93 octane back in Louisiana. I think we went with an 11? 11.5 cc dish in the racetec pistons and have the Pistons out the cylinders .005. I'm calculating this all with a .040 gasket crush. I know this is a +-.

I'm having a local hot rod shop expand my oil pan and baffle it up for me.

I will be throwing a 570 street avenger on the engine once done. I know a lot of people have been using 600 Holleys, but I figure I can upgrade down the road if I need to.

I have a MSD 6AL box installed on the car and a DSII I got from the fordsix distributor guru and will use a blaster II coil.

Exhaust is a dual out header from CI and will be getting an imposter exhaust from Matt at vintage inlines. The arvinode is just a little too loud for my wife's likes based off of vids we have watched on YouTube.

All of this is going to be ran though a 3.35 t5 and 3.55 rearend.

I will be posting pics very soon!

69stang_250":1463t3qh said:
1) What size radiator do you guys thing would be good for my build?
2) What's y'all opinion an electric fan?
1) Some use the bent8, some stick w/stock. I think there'[s a change in sides when going to the bigger.

2) I like the ele. idea. 'Push' and 'pull' fans have been used (not simultaneously). When finding 'no room' the radiator &/or fan can B put on the other side of the core support. There's room between there and the grill. Some do both (swap to the frnt) I believe. A Taurus from the recycler (oick'n pull, junk yrd) has a double ele fan that I've seen them use (frm pic on-line).

Im lookin up the silicone hoses. The heater hoses R available frm several co.s as they're just straight. @ least 3 colors (red, blue, blk). Tryin 2 get the 'molded' 4 the radiator upper/lower. They do have them 4 the bent8.

I found the info on the contour fans. I bought one and now trying to figure out the relays I need to run with it. I used the American autowire update kit to rewire the car and it has a wire fore the electric fan. I'm just need to wire the relays forward.

I ordered an AL 24" 2 row radiator. This should work fine with my engine and the contour fans. Got ahold of the saddle mounts for $40 off eBay so I'm set on that.

any part #s on a thermostat housing w/the bung 4 the sensor ('water neck')?
/OR/
Is there a better way to tell the fan when to go on/off?

If I'm not mistaken the stock one from my engine has a plug in it when the sinsor should go, but I am planning on getting a billet one from Matt at Vintageinlines. They have the bung in them from the pics I have seen.

69stang_250":252y5ujf said:
So I have gotten everything figured out and done on the car other than the assembly of the engine.

As of now I have all parts on order or on hand. Pistons should be in next week and I should be getting the crank back from the balancing.

The head has been cleaned up and had the chambers cleaned up. They were off by 6cc and came out to 54cc once cleaned up. One of the valve guides were drilled off center so we had to get a new guid for that one valve. The intake has came out to not fit properly to the ports, so the machinest is working on matching them up right now.

Called up RAU Monday and received my 1.6 rockers today. Talk about fast delivery!
They look very nice and will get my lift to .512 using the CS 280 110LS cam. Based on the AL head flow numbers, this is where it starts to fall off on CFM flow.

Quick question for you guys. What length Push rods have you guys been using with the 1.6 adjustable rockers? I had a talk with them at RAU and heard that people have been sending the Push rods back to get shortened. I measured my old ball/ball ones and they are 9 5/16".

Once everything is assembled we are expecting 10.3:1 SCR and 7.9 DCR. This lets me use 91octane here in Cali till I get back home to the 93 octane back in Louisiana. I think we went with an 11? 11.5 cc dish in the racetec pistons and have the Pistons out the cylinders .005. I'm calculating this all with a .040 gasket crush. I know this is a +-.

I'm having a local hot rod shop expand my oil pan and baffle it up for me.

I will be throwing a 570 street avenger on the engine once done. I know a lot of people have been using 600 Holleys, but I figure I can upgrade down the road if I need to.

I have a MSD 6AL box installed on the car and a DSII I got from the fordsix distributor guru and will use a blaster II coil.

Exhaust is a dual out header from CI and will be getting an imposter exhaust from Matt at vintage inlines. The arvinode is just a little too loud for my wife's likes based off of vids we have watched on YouTube.

All of this is going to be ran though a 3.35 t5 and 3.55 rearend.

I will be posting pics very soon!

On your push Rod lenght it would be best to get one of the adjustable checking type push rods to find the correct lenght. You could also use one of your old 250 push rods and cut it then add the cut off ball top an old 170 / 200 push Rod (from an adjustable set) using about the lenght of your 250 Rod. Fit a threaded section into it with a 1/2 to 1 inch of adjustment so you can adjust it to the lenght for the correct rocker arm geometry. Good luck :nod:

OK, didn't C a bung/port on Matt's.
I'll go back'n check - he's treated me very well !

Bubba- they sent me an adjustable one. I was asked what the original pushrods length was so they could get an idea at RAU what people are pulling out of their engines. I was just courious because I have seen places that the stock pushrods were longer than the 9 5/16 rods my engine had. I will be measuring before I order the ones I need though.

Here are some pics I have for the car and things I've done so far.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 287
Matt seems like a great dude! I sent an email to him a few mins ago to verify the bung being in the thermostat housing.

I got one of the t-stat housings from Matt. There is a screw-in port on there. It's a sharp little piece too. (y)

69stang_250":a0a4mdnl said:
Bubba- they sent me an adjustable one. I was asked what the original pushrods length was so they could get an idea at RAU what people are pulling out of their engines. I was just courious because I have seen places that the stock pushrods were longer than the 9 5/16 rods my engine had. I will be measuring before I order the ones I need though.

Here are some pics I have for the car and things I've done so far.

I think the confusion on the push Rod lenght when switching over to the adjustable's on the 250 (since they never had them stock). This stems from the fact that over all length of the non adjustable's is measured from tip to tip yet with a ball and cup adjustable type push Rod it needs to be measured from ball tip to the bottom of the cup were the rockers adjustment ball sets into the cup plus allow for the adjustment that needs to be about midway or less otherwise the push lenght is going to be wrong to start out and mess up the rocker arm geometry. Then you need to factor in the difference of the heads deck to rocker arm mounting height from that of a stock iron head. I haven't had the opportunity to measure an Aluminum head or see its design blueprints versus the Iron head measurements to know if there's much of a difference.

69stang_250, :wow: (y) your Mustang is looking really great excellent workmanship and selection of parts. :beer: you come a long way on it and I think it's going to be Gorgous! Good luck :nod:

repeat
( juss tryin 2 get my post count up)
8^0

BTW: LOOKS G R E A T on that front end pic. White w/blacked out grill!

69stang_250":3dpsucb9 said:
1) What size radiator do you guys thing would be good for my build?
2) What's y'all opinion an electric fan?
1) Some use the bent8, some stick w/stock. I think there'[s a change in sides when going to the bigger.

2) I like the ele. idea. 'Push' and 'pull' fans have been used (not simultaneously). When finding 'no room' the radiator &/or fan can B put on the other side of the core support. There's room between there and the grill. Some do both (swap to the frnt & use a 'push') I believe. A Taurus from the recycler (pick'n pull, junk yrd) has a double ele fan that I've seen them use (frm pic on-line).

Im lookin up the silicone hoses. The heater hoses R available frm several co.s as they're just straight. @ least 3 colors (red, blue, blk). Tryin 2 get the 'molded' 4 the radiator upper/lower. They do have them 4 the bent8.

I know I have not been on here in a while. It's been crazy busy the past few months.
Quick update on the car:

Engine will be going in this week and plan on doing cam break-in by Friday.

The only things I need to workout is the final wiring for the MSD ignition control mod to the battery, running the fuel lines from the pump to the Carb, and the exhaust system. Still have the single exhaust hanging under, but I will be cutting that off this week and will be looking into installing some FM 40s, however, I need to get the engine in first.

A quick question on the fuel system for you guys. What is a good regulator to install and where is the best location to install it? I still have the metal fuel line for the 1bbl. I am thinking about just keeping that line on for ease and cutting it to length to work with the Holley street avenger.

I will make some videos and post them up when I am doing the break in for all you guys.

Back