NEW Billet Parts

82F100":1llc68pl said:
Mike, ya gonna do any stuff for the Big six? like side covers etc. ?

If I can get my hands on one for a pattern, sure.....

My machinist called today and said the pulleys should be done by mid week. I also called a local anodizer and got some quotes. I'll be taking the pulleys to them by the end of next week, and should get them back around the end of the month. I can't wait to see how they come out.

I was going to do the t-stats next, but I'm thinking the timing covers or valve covers might be better? I thought about the valve covers, and may decide to make them in a two piece design, as there's a couple advantages doing them this way. First, I can get rid of all the bumps and lumps, as the mounting bolts for the bottom piece would be inside the cover, with the top piece being mounted with six screws on the outside. The top piece would also utilize an o-ring, instead of a gasket, which would be great for those who have solid lifter cams. They make a cast alloy cover like this in Argentina, which I considered importing several years ago. However the quality of the castings weren't to my satisfaction, so I decided against it. Plus I didn't really care for the way they designed it, as I don't like the big flange on the outside. I've still got one laying around somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it and post some pics. At least it will give you an idea what I'm thinking for the billet covers.

This also gives me another idea. I would be pretty easy to make a spacer for my alloy valve covers, which would give a little more clearance for those having issues with rocker interference. ;)

EDIT: I found it. BTW: If anyone wants to buy this one, it's for sale.
avc1.jpg

avc2.jpg

avc3.jpg

Hey Mike,
I can't wait to see what everything will end up looking like! Just being curious what are you asking for that valve cover??? Speaking of prices, what range will the new valve covers be in?

Thanks,
Dj

I can send you a side cover for a big block. Got a whole 240 big block I've been trying to get rid of.

Mike:

Back to the timing cover . . . I certainly understand the cost issues of billet vs cast - particularly for a relatively short run of parts. But either way, I would sure like to see a two piece cover with a cam gear access plate. At some point, a fully adjustable timing gear might be in the picture and having access to that without removing the full cover would be nice. Also, I suspect that the access plate could be made in a variant that would allow for a mechanical fuel injection pump (i.e. Hilborn or Enderle or ???) to be utilized with the appropriate hex drive spud.

Being a 240/300 big six fan, we'd sure like to see similar products over in our camp - sooner rather than later please!

Much to my surprise, my machinist called this afternoon and asked if he could stop by to show me the prototype of the t-stat. I was shocked as I didn't even know he was working on them yet, but I must say I was really please with what he did. We made them so they'll work with short or long pumps, unlike the chrome t-stats which only fit with the long necks. Keep in mind, this is just the prototype, and that the final product will look nicer. We plan to offer a fully polished version, as well as silver, black, and blue anodized. I'm going to do one in gold for myself, and a couple red ones by request.

To see the other colors available, check out the poll I ran back in March.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56119&p=431043&hilit=anodized#p431043

billet-tstat1m.jpg

billet-tstat2m.jpg

Mike,
If the price of the Argie valve cover is close to what you sell yours for, I wouldn't mind having it to install on the aluminum head. Something different.

Will it clear Yella Terras?

Id be interested in a timing cover and adjustable gears. Theres just nothing available here.

JoeJoe44":z15rjugj said:
serpentine pulley set up would be awesome.
I agree 100%. I've been looking at if it would be possible to set up a reverse rotation water pump, but since that would be a custom part (and if so, definitely built with replaceable impeller, bearings, and seals) I'd probably just use an extra idler.

A kit would be amazing, and allow placing a 250 into shorter engine bays.

Likewise, a rear-sump pan for the 250 would probably be a good seller for 6-cylinder Fox guys :D

Ben

I have a CAD file of the 300 side cover if that would help you out any. Its just the profile and bolt locations relative to the cover, you can add your own detail and design to it.....

Re: T Stat housing

> It would be useful for the T Stat housing to include a place for a temp sensor. The OEM 250 Tstat housing has a blank area ready to tap for the elec. fan sensor or guage sensor.

As per:

have you thought about having some balance rings made up that you be used to "rebuild" a balancer to go serp belt? I have a ring off a 4.0L OHC explorer that seems to be a dead ringer size wise to swap on a 2groove hub (damper doctors for a rebuild?) only thing you would need is a custom waterpump pulley to go with it and the rest could be off the shelf bits.

A few years ago, we considered making a kit similar to this one, which I believe was for a Holden. The crank pulley (right) mounts inside the existing balancer, while the water pump pulley (left) is bolted to the front of the existing pulley. As such you retain the existing V-belts for accessories, and use the serpentine belt to drive a blower. However the fan is eliminated and an electric fan is used instead. We decided not to make them back then, as the timing wasn't right. If we do anything, we'll probably make rings to fit the stock balancers, however I still like the idea of retaining the V-belts.....
serpentine.jpg

Asa":7v634cpz said:
me personally, i want a throttle cable setup that is dedicated to the six, i'm tired of trying new things in an attempt at getting my hobbled little hobby horse down the road

but if i can't make it go, i gotta make it show, right?

Are you referring to a stock setup or a 2bbl conversion? It seems like many of these 2bbl upgrades have differences that would negate any effort to come up with a one-size-fits-all solution. I have been through 3 Holley 2bbl carbs and each one required a new solution for the throttle linkage. The current setup I have is with an original 1965 Mustang six cylinder throttle arm that has been torched and reshaped, with an additionally fabricated piece of metal to attach it to the carburetor. If you want to go with a cable throttle, you'll have to be creative. I used a 1965 Mustang V8 throttle rod and routed the cable throttle around the front of the engine. I fabricated a crude anchoring point out of aluminum stock and bolted it to the carb adapter. This gave the throttle the straight pull that it needed.

We've been kicking around the idea of producing a cable setup, but like TheDude said, there are so many different applications it going to be nearly impossible to make a kit to suit them all. But we'll keep working on it and see what we can come up with.

I picked up the billet T-stats from the anodizer today, and was really pleased with them. I can't wait to see how the pulleys turn out, but they won't be done machining them until late next week. Now all I neeed to do, is buy a bunch of gaskets and stainless bolts to go with the T-stats. Plus I need to get some of the T-stats polished.

I had a bunch of carb adaptors anodized too, but will post pics of them later. Gotta go watch the game (Broncos and Cardinals). ;)

billet-tstat-A4.jpg

billet-tstat-A1.jpg

Oh yea, I also had a few DUI Wire Looms anodized too, so they'll match the LiveWire colors (blue, red, yellow, and black). Not sure if I'm going to stock these, or not?

billetloomsM.jpg

Sweet! I like 'um!
Nice job Mike!

Count me in for a few of the natural aluminum ones! Unless that Red will match Kelly's motor...but it doesn't look like the right shade.

Maybe we'll see ya in Vegas this weekend!
Later,
Will

Back