T04b housing help

66Sprint6

Famous Member
Well, once I pay off the T5 swap it will be time to look into the TURBO!!!! I have a T04b turbo and I believe the A/R is .98 and I dont remember the other (its in Tenn and Im in FL). What would be the best housings for this turbo and my 200?? I would appreciate any help, oh, and where would I find these? Thanks guys
Matt

Jeez, that sounds like a lot of turbo for that motor. Strictly seat of the pants feeling of course. I'd think of trading in on a t3. You'll want to consult the turbo maps of course.

Unless of course your plan is to wind the ungodly wee out of it!

Yeah, it might be alot of turbo for the car, but then again, no-one has tried it you know. I figure Ill just see what happens but I want to better fit the housings to what Im doing.
Matt

here i the land of OZ we wouldn't think of putting anything smalller than a t4 on a 250. many of use are u8sing bigger turbs.

but it depends what you want to use it for, id say keep it as it is the medium exhaust housing should not be small enough to cause restriction and not large enough to be too laggy....

jus my two bobs worth

Im with you pumbaplus
If its over 2.5ltrs it needs a T04

I've heard two opposing theories on that topic-

1) Use a small turbo to spool up fast with little lag. Great low end response. Run outta breath at the top end.

2) Use a larger turbo to get gobs of power coming on from the midrange on up. Cam the motor to make good low end torque, and let the turbo take over at higher RPM.

I have to look when I get home, but I've seen one published recommendation for a T04 S-4 trim for 200's. That was not Ford specific- it was a generalization based on cubic inches.

I kinda like the second theory, but have absolutely no practical experience to back it up. I think my 1.8T VW was built on theory #1. In contrast, I think the Audi 1.8T was built on theory #2. Mines makes 150HP, the Audi 225 with the same parts (expect maybe cam). I know which one I'd rather have....

The compressor map will tell a more complete story.

--mikey

There's not much to choose between a big trimmed T03 and a small trimmed T04. Both will work well on the 200. For moderate RPM and street use, the T03 in 60 or Super 60 trim is probably the ticket. For a street/strip car, the S-3 trimmed T04B might be preferrable. Just read the compressor maps.

As to sizing the turbine, good luck. I have never been able to find anything on sizing the hot side of the turbo.

From all the research Ive been doin and what yall have been sayin, i figure Ill put a better cam in to take care of the low end while the turbo is tryin to spool. Any recomendations as far as that goes? Would I be able to get it from Mike? Thanks as usual guys
Matt

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you are going to need to keep a big turbine housing on it in order too keep boost/compressor speed down. Your turbine housing is what will determine how much lag you will end up with, but it will also determine if and where you will experience compressor surge (very bad). With a small AR turbine (something in the .45 - .50 range) you could keep lag to a streetable level. On the other hand, that big compressor may try and feed the engine a lot more air than it wants at a low rpm.

I'm saying that your turbo's current setup might be great for a larger engine (like a 300), but it may surge on a 200 unless you throw on a larger turbine housing and live with a lot of lag or you get a compressor less prone to surge at lower flow levels (60-1 or 60-2 trim). Start by finding out the turbine specs.

You never stated your intended use of this car....

Wide lobe separation angles (wider the better), relatively low duration. Amount of boost has to figure in someplace (seen cams that say good for mild boost applications), but I'm not quite sure how it figures in.

I think xtaxi posted to the effect of 215 degrees or less at .050 lift, and less than 280 degrees total duration. This jives with other reading I've done.

Many say to stick with the stock cam. Key concept is to not overcam the engine. A good torque/economy cam or good stock cam seems like a decent way to go.

FSPP can get custom grinds with varying lobe separation angles up to 112 degrees, I beleive.

--mikey

Its a daily driver that will see its share of strip duty as well. I plan to have a BOV, intercooler and I will have to have an external wastegate etc. I will run 8-10 lbs of boost prolly no more. I have the t04b and its brand spankin new which is why I want to use it. Im just tryin to see what I need to do to make it work. If all else fails, I guess I could try to sell it and get a slightly smaller turbo, but I would like to try this one if I can manage.
Matt

I would limit myself on how big the cam was, and avoid overlap.

Inliner- a 200 doesn't need a .96 turbine (esp. a T04B); that's constant speed diesel territory (it's stock on many CATs). Due to the limited breathing of the 200 log head, I'd go with a mild cam (to get more lift, vice duration) and a .48 or .58 turbine housing. Don't go larger than a .60 compressor (like a Hi-Fi, etc), as it'll just add to the lag (and it's not needed).

You'll make more power down low & in the mid-range, where the 200 runs. If you really built the 200, you could go with a .69 turbine.

Just my thoughts...

OHChicken":1vgtxa8u said:
Inliner- a 200 doesn't need a .96 turbine (esp. a T04B); that's constant speed diesel territory (it's stock on many CATs). Due to the limited breathing of the 200 log head, I'd go with a mild cam (to get more lift, vice duration) and a .48 or .58 turbine housing. Don't go larger than a .60 compressor (like a Hi-Fi, etc), as it'll just add to the lag (and it's not needed).

I wouldn't be surprised if this turbo did come off some industrial diesel. If that's the case it probably does have a huge turbine, and would run rather inneficiently, and have a lot of lag. He would be better off selling it.

Larger compressor add to lag? Someone please explain. The added weight of the wheel? The way I understand it, lag is attributed majorly to the turbine side. I'm saying, that I think a .48 turbine housing would be good at getting up on boost soon even on a 200, but with that huge compressor on the other end of the turbo, it will cross the surge line before that little 200 hits 3,000 rpms.

T04B with an S3 trim would be about spot on
with compressor efficiency being at around 74%

Or even an E1 trim would be ok at 64%

lagg = the time taken for the compresor side to provide more air than the engine can ingest. ussuallly measured in rpm. that said you want the thing spinning as quick as possible as early as possible. thus no lag. what stops this??? weight of spinning components, bearing friction and the design of wheels and housings. in the case of a larger comp wheel , lag would be mostly due to the design of the wheel , eg its ability to 'grab' more air, thus stopping it fromspinning faster..

i think the effectiveness of the turbo you have will depend greatly on the compresor wheel size,. do you know what trim it is?? if not can you measure the diameter at the opening and how many blades it has?

6 blades = petrol / automotive wheel,,,, 7+ ussually truck / high torque

i think each trim garret wheel came with optionof blades for diferent purposes.

i've got a 1.32 turbine housing and an 8 blade 550 hp wheel cant remmember trim. yes there would be lagg due to turbineside. but the comp is designed the grab more air at lower rpm. ATS turbo guys said it would give sparkling middrange power and great top end . thats what ive got my cam designed for. my two bob ...

oh and turbo sizing would also depend on the airflow of the engine and revs

On my old 4.1 x flo I had a t4 with a 1.00 exhaust
and I think it had a 70 comp cover I have no idea what trim it had

Gassed260-

What RPM's/ Airflow rate are you basing your numbers on for the T04B-S3? Also, what boost pressure?

I was looking over compressor maps the other night, and the T04B-H-3 seemed to fall better into line. Just wondering what the assumption set is.

I was operating under the following assumptions ( I think- there was a lot of fussing about with numbers)-

5000rpm redline, maybe 4500- I can't recall right now (artificially low, but it's my chosen operating parameter)
80% VE
6-8psi boost
200 cubic inch displacement

If you could post some numbers, especially flow rates in CFM and pounds per minute, I'd appreciate it. It'd give me that warm fuzzy that someone else got the same numbers as me.

--mikey

Back