turbo 200 build

According to your measurements the cam LSA is a little over 110 degrees instead of 112

The cam card is asking you to set the cam 2 degrees advanced which would normally put the intake lobe center at 110 degrees ATDC as shown by the cam card

Since the actual LSA is 110 by your measurements that would put the intake lobe center at 108 degrees ATDC for 2 degrees advanced which is where it was with the first set of readings at zero degrees advanced.

Check the cam lobe timing at cylinder #6 and see if the cam is ground more accurately at that set of lobes.
Depending on what you find there will help you decide the cam timing.

I checked cylinder#6, the readings are the same as #1 - all good there. So I'm going to install at 0 degrees advanced unless anyone has any other ideas :D Are these variations a common problem on the way cams are ground?

Zero degrees at the gear set with the intake lobe center at 108 will be fine.

I have seen more than one Schneider cam ground with the LSA less than specified using the .050" lobe lift points.
If you want to double check the lobe center you can indicate .050" down both sides from the top of the lobe and get the center from there.
The assumption would be that the lobe is symmetrical.

Since you have such a great tubular exhaust header, a slightly reduced LSA will not make a difference.

Cam looks fine to me.. I still favor solid lifter but can understand the use of hyd.
If you have not already done so I would like to urge you to tap the header close to the turbo for a fitting to monitor your turbine inlet pressure...It can give you a lot of useful information...That is how I found out that the .68 housing was to small for what I was doing and the .96 was too big...Used an oil pressure gauge and long small copper line that came with it...Once you know it is, can be removed until the next big change.

Moving slowly - engine has been ready for over a month but I've been working on other stuff. Got the water pump installed and running. Had to build a new console to accommodate the fan and water pump switches - done. Hopefully will be up and running within the month (I keep saying this and one day it will be true):ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • Waterpump.jpg
    Waterpump.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
What's the latest update on this build? Is it working again?
A lot has happened since the last time I posted - first and foremost, the car is not running yet. The cam sync needs to be timed. In the last year, I've moved to Tahoe and started a new job so I've been busy settling in. Then we got evacuated and almost lost the car (not to mention everything else) in the Caldor fire. I have every intention of going out and getting the car running but life keeps getting in the way:banghead:. I'll post when I get the car running - probably in the spring since I now have to deal with a lot of snow☃️ and the mustang does not work well on snow and ice.

Once you've gotten over Tahoe's 51 year old snowfall record with over 212 inches for December, call me up about an awd conversion.

I've done the antarctic ice and snow thing. I set my wife on the AWD route, an IFS modification makes the Mustang an easy 4WD candidate. Fords first Ferguson Formula conversion was done in 1966, then the 1985 Ford Sierra XR4X4, 1985-1992 Ford Scorpio, and there was a Vignale Mustang 4X4 IN 1984. They just never got the air play they deserved. They were Nissan Skyline GTR's or Nissan Stagea AWD's...on the cheap.

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing a AWD Station Wagon like a Falcon or Fairlane size it would be great here in my area and during this time of year. I have been having a hard time getting doug out completely from about a week of snow finally today the weather changed enough to "Geter Done". I just got back home from a short drive there is lots of ice out on the streets tonight to slide around on with a 2 X 4 truck, so I have to think that AWD would be so much better.

IMG_20211229_113217390_HDR(1).jpg

This is our two-story house - yeah, we have a little bit of snow! I've thought about converting a Ranchero or Falcon into a four-wheel drive for a couple of years - I would have used a Subaru drive train. But one of the problems we have in our neighborhood is we don't get plow service consistently - I push up to 30 inches of snow in my truck just trying to get down to the highway - so need major ground clearance.
xctasy -Thanks for the video - cracked me up! I'm still waiting for an invitation to the country club🤣
bubba - I have a Nissan Frontier - I keep the bed full of snow for traction and the four-wheel works great in the snow but it's better in two-wheel drive on ice - go figure. I also have an AWD Jeep and it does a much better job on ice than my truck.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful. I have camped and hiked there many, many times, and have terrific memories. I would move there in a perfect world. Congrats.

This is the Richard Holdener 5 fold method for better boost response. Included are a Method 6 and 7...two step Ignition and rev limiter for 60 foot times, and of course, your wife's Illegal use of Nitrous as a way to make off boost...boost.

Item 5, cam duration reduction with a Smaller Cam, that was your go to solution.

Just like to say...pmuller9 had it right, first time.

Hope things are well, and that you all get some seat time in your Yellow Terror....

Back