Adding aluminum head to 250 in a 66 Mustang (engine running video added)

That above post is referring to the 1969 & 1970 Mustang 250 Six Mounts that CoupeBoy was making they would probably also work for a 1967 & 68 Mustang. The 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustangs though have a narrower chassis than the later cars so they maynot work. 200 to 250 swap notes in the old Tech section here. https://fordsix.com/ci/250Swap.html

In these posts is the info for the 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustang 250 Six swap mounts that CoupeBoy was also making might have some other info you can use.

One other 250 Six Swap in an early Mustang with more good info. Best of luck!

Random question, what spark plugs do yall recommend for this setup that fits the aluminum head? I'll take specific model numbers, the set of NGK's I have for the stock 250 aren't the correct size at all, and I don't know what size the aluminum head takes.

Last edited:
How high is your Weber carburetor including the spacer under it?

The Holley Sniper 2300 is 3.28" high and doesn't need the spacer.
I don't know of anything to bolt in place that has a lower profile.

Any non sniper Holley 2V carbs at the same height that you know of? I think there's Holley 4v's at that height.

Edit 1: It appears the Holley 2300 series is 3.25" so I'm thinkin' the following carb from Vintage Inlines should help chop off an inch from the tall Weber 38/38 which is approximately 4.3". Also running the low pro carb hat that works directly w/ the 2300... thoughts? Also thinking of having a machine shop cut the adapter plate in half cause that thing is .5" thick and getting it down to .25 should also help.

350 CFM Street Avenger Carburetor Aluminum w/Electric Choke​

SKU: HOL-350-2300

Edit 2: Noticed there's other 2300 series 3.25" carbs at different CFM's, what's a good CFM for this 250/Alum Head build?

Last edited:
The 350 Holley will work fine.
I haven't been following this post, what camshaft will you be running?
If you need any distributor help see my listings in the small six for sale section of the forum. Bill wsa111

The 350 Holley will work fine.
I haven't been following this post, what camshaft will you be running?
If you need any distributor help see my listings in the small six for sale section of the forum. Bill wsa111
Great thank you!
See below for camshaft grind.
Will do, appreciate it.
1E6875F3-64F3-4C87-B842-63B0E65A541D_1_105_c.jpeg

Any non sniper Holley 2V carbs at the same height that you know of? I think there's Holley 4v's at that height.

Edit 1: It appears the Holley 2300 series is 3.25" so I'm thinkin' the following carb from Vintage Inlines should help chop off an inch from the tall Weber 38/38 which is approximately 4.3". Also running the low pro carb hat that works directly w/ the 2300... thoughts? Also thinking of having a machine shop cut the adapter plate in half cause that thing is .5" thick and getting it down to .25 should also help.

350 CFM Street Avenger Carburetor Aluminum w/Electric Choke​

SKU: HOL-350-2300

Edit 2: Noticed there's other 2300 series 3.25" carbs at different CFM's, what's a good CFM for this 250/Alum Head build?
You might want to see if you can find a Holley, Autolite, or Motorcraft, 2V carb base gasket (these are all the same shape and bolt pattern) or you can print out of the drawing in the below link with all the 2300 carb base measurements on it to see if your Weber 2V adapter plate has enough material to be able to mount the 2300 2V Holley carb. https://documents.holley.com/2300_2-bbl.pdf
Usually the Weber plates are made a little different and the Holley doesn't fit it, find that out first before you go to the trouble of machineing it down to 1/4 inch. Maybe you could still send it back to exchange it for the right Holley pattern carb plate? Or you could make you own carb plate out of some 1/4 Aluminum its fairly easy to do. Good luck

You might want to see if you can find a Holley, Autolite, or Motorcraft, 2V carb base gasket (these are all the same shape and bolt pattern) or you can print out of the drawing in the below link with all the 2300 carb base measurements on it to see if your Weber 2V adapter plate has enough material to be able to mount the 2300 2V Holley carb. https://documents.holley.com/2300_2-bbl.pdf
Usually the Weber plates are made a little different and the Holley doesn't fit it, find that out first before you go to the trouble of machineing it down to 1/4 inch. Maybe you could still send it back to exchange it for the right Holley pattern carb plate? Or you could make you own carb plate out of some 1/4 Aluminum its fairly easy to do. Good luck

I happen to also have the Holley 2v Carb plate for the intake manifold, it was actually the one in the pics cause the weber one was on the manifold.

Great that will bring your valve lift to .483" . It will also increase your duration @ .050".
Instead of 212 degrees it will close to 214 degrees.
However the advertised duration will still be 260 degrees.
Make sure you get the proper valve springs to handle the extra lift & the rate of lift.
What distributor are you planning to use??? Has it been recurved for your combo?

Great that will bring your valve lift to .483" . It will also increase your duration @ .050".
Instead of 212 degrees it will close to 214 degrees.
However the advertised duration will still be 260 degrees.
Make sure you get the proper valve springs to handle the extra lift & the rate of lift.
What distributor are you planning to use??? Has it been recurved for your combo?
Are the dual valve springs from the aluminum head sufficient?

D.u.i. and it hasn't been recurved for the combo

Are the dual valve springs from the aluminum head sufficient?

D.u.i. and it hasn't been recurved for the combo
Your DUI needs to be recurved for your combo. If its a new one, it will have an under oiling condition.
I have seen many where the shaft was almost ready to seize in the bushings.
I can fix that, cost is $125.00 plus parts & shipping.

Hood clearance issue resolved by lowering the motor and welding the mounts and a Holley Street Avenger, and the VI carb hat. The electric choke will have to be swapped to a manual for clearance with the shock tower.

Went with Autolite 3923 spark plugs.

Gonna have alotta parts to sell when I'm done lol.

Attachments

• 20211217_132442.mp4
    26.1 MB
Back